Technical Stop Start

Currently reading:
Technical Stop Start

Hi First problem in three years with our 1.6 MPW I thought I was doing well!
on the way To Buxton and enine check came on with stop start not available!.
So I will have to find the shed keys and find and find my obd lead I still have multi scan on the lap top so hopefully all will be well.

Fruitful trip to my shed lead found , laptop and multi scan soon plugged in. Error was clutch peddle switch so cleared and all ok. Stop start must use the clutch peddle position maybe a gremlin as check engine light has stayed off.

Hello, I am new to this forum and have only found this thread pertaining to my problem. I hope someone can help me. The following has happened twice in as many trips to Wales from London.

So, I am travelling from Wales both times and my stop&start which is NEVER activated decides to engage while travelling on the M4 in the middle lane. This results in a flashing ! where the S&S icon is and feels like I am pulling two elephants behind me. Fortunately on both times the traffic is light and I can coast to one of the few remaining and fast dwindling hard shoulders.

I don't want this thing 'repaired' I want it OUT!! Is there a possibility of doing this? :cry:

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to this forum and have only found this thread pertaining to my problem. I hope someone can help me. The following has happened twice in as many trips to Wales from London.

So, I am travelling from Wales both times and my stop&start which is NEVER activated decides to engage while travelling on the M4 in the middle lane. This results in a flashing ! where the S&S icon is and feels like I am pulling two elephants behind me. Fortunately on both times the traffic is light and I can coast to one of the few remaining and fast dwindling hard shoulders.

I don't want this thing 'repaired' I want it OUT!! Is there a possibility of doing this? :cry:

How weird..

Do you mean its 'disabled'
via a dashboard switch?

Obviously a good M4 run will get the battery charge back in S.S range..
But it shouldn't just activate.

Personally I suspect its a fault..

Bad earth cable?
Dodgy brake or clutch switch..?

What engine..and gearbox do you have??

Charlie.. M4 traveller

Last edited:
hello Charlie

My car is a 500 Lounge 14 plate, manual, bought two years ago as a 3 year old with 13k on the clock now 22k on clock. I even put a plaster over the switch to stop myself from pressing it. My mechanic told me it wears the starter motor out to keep it on and a S&S starter motor is more expensive to replace than a normal one!

I have never turned the S&S switch on and keep it off as it is a damn nuisance.

I am doing about 70 on M4 and it just turns on both times coming back from Wales, fine going down.

Last edited:
To be fair... you did say you were driving out of Wales, into England... can't blame the car for not wanting to go... :D

Was it around Membury services, on the way to Swindon? That's a very long but shallow climb so your car is working harder up there than on the run "downhill" to Reading.

I think the S&S warning light may hint at the cause of the problem without necessarily being the cause. Sometimes the ECU just gives you its "best guess" based on the sensor information it is, or is not receiving.

Did the car actually cut out while you were driving along, or did you just pull over because the warning light on the dashboard (related or not to S&S) came on?

If the car died, did it start again immediately or only after 5-10 minutes?

It would have to be a failure of epic proportions for the S&S system to cut out the engine while the car is moving. S&S only works when the car is stationery, AND in neutral AND with the clutch pedal disengaged... so two of those things would have to have failed to make the engine die.

If the motor just cut out, it could be you have a failing TDC (aka camshaft.. or crank) sensor. If it's not detecting that the engine is going round, it won't tell the fuel injection when to squirt petrol into the engine, or the coils when to fire up the spark plugs to burn it. The engine will cut out.

If the engine cuts out, you could then have an ECU that thinks the car is moving, in gear, with the clutch out... and the engine just died, so it might think that the S&S has a fault to have cut the engine, when actually it was the TDC sensor that did it.

If the car started again when the TDC sensor cooled down a bit (5-10 minutes) then it's the TDC sensor.

Use your S&S though. People sadly get flustered by it doing "weird things".. whereas all it's doing is switching the engine off when you're sitting stationery with the engine idling. You just have to ignore that the engine cuts out etc. and just drive the car exactly as you would a non-S&S car. That's about it. Which bit is difficult?

Ralf S.

Back