Technical Stop Start issue

Currently reading:
Technical Stop Start issue

Old Gibber

Brand new Ducato, 2.3litre engine 9 speed auto. Done 1500 miles in last week. Once clock ticked over 2000 miles stop/start suddenly started working. Next day engine management warning came on stop/start not working. I know most problems with stop/start are due to battery issues, but it is highly unlikely this is the issue now. As I am not in the UK is there a quick way of disabling this message/ resetting the system? Its presumably not a serious problem but would like to reset it if I could.

Hi

I can't tell you much more than will be in your handbook.

I know that Stop/Start systems are only enabled if conditions are right, e.g. the battery is well enough charged, its not too hot or too cold, the aircon is off, you aren't about to do a hill start etc. That's the first time I have heard of a distinct mileage effect, maybe the 2000 miles is to allow the engine to bed in a bit, though I would expect it to be a round number of km rather than miles.

I don't know of a way you can reset it, but often with minor faults after a certain number of engine starts (e.g. 5 or 6) the fault warning gets cleared automatically though any error codes will remain logged in memory.

Yes it was rather weird when it suddenly worked. Third time temperatures were just above freezing and the engine wasn't even warm. Given all the driving I'd been doing the battery must be fully charged. Its had more than 5 or 6 starts since it started. Just wondering if disconnecting the battery earth and the stop start sensor for half an hour and then leaving the van locked overnight might reset it.

Hi,

May I suggest not attempting anything that may cause problems later trying to get FIAT to fix it. That includes disconnecting / reconnecting the battery.

I know the above sounds very cautious but there is thought behind it.

Best wishes

Jack

Hi,

May I suggest not attempting anything that may cause problems later trying to get FIAT to fix it. That includes disconnecting / reconnecting the battery.

Best wishes

Jack
2nd this.
There isn't a stop start sensor - its much more complex than that
Guessing fault codes without a reader is pointless
Disconnecting the battery won't help - and there is a long "safe" procedure you'd need to follow.
If the fault is cleared, it may reset by itself after a few restarts - but still be stored and needs to be read.
I think the 2000m is coincidence - I believe the ECU works in hours & km - not miles.

On a new van you should have international breakdown included - so you'd need to call them I guess.

Hi,

Best wishes

Jack
Very good advice. Disconnecting batteries on the newest generations of vehicles is quite a dodgy thing to do and, unlike their older brethren, unlikely to clear faults. I wouldn't let it get even a "sniff" of my spanners if I wanted to be sure not to give them an excuse to invalidate my warranty.

Turned out the fault was an exhaust gas sensor. It appears a good number of new Ducatos have suffered from this at 2000 miles. Excellent service from a Spanish garage. Dropped in without a booking at 4pm. Diagnosed fault within 10 minutes. Returned at 9am next morning and within half an hour, new sensor was fitted under warranty. Also Fiat Assist and the RAC both proved to be excellent in resolving this.

Turned out the fault was an exhaust gas sensor. It appears a good number of new Ducatos have suffered from this at 2000 miles. Excellent service from a Spanish garage. Dropped in without a booking at 4pm. Diagnosed fault within 10 minutes. Returned at 9am next morning and within half an hour, new sensor was fitted under warranty. Also Fiat Assist and the RAC both proved to be excellent in resolving this.
Which sensor did they change

Right, same here, a bad batch of sooth sensors. Bought ours (2.3 180 9 speed) in 2021 and after 6000 km same thing. A bummer when it happens and you have no idea what is going on. Fiat should consider a recall for this, instead of driving people nuts after investing in a brand new car.

The good news, it was fixed exactly a year ago and I've had no problems anymore, so far.

I never leave home without an OBD plug since then :)

Back