General Stolen 2015 4x4

Currently reading:
General Stolen 2015 4x4

MickG

Word to the wise. My 64 / 2015 4x4 was stolen from the street 2 weeks ago. CCTV from a neighbour shows they pulled up right by it, got in and drove off all within 6 minutes. Obviously had an immobiliser defeat device ( found some for the model with a google search) and some kind of skeleton key or pick for the key (I’ve still got all the keys). I loved that car and am jealous of you all who still have one. If you love yours maybe have a think because there’s nothing stopping anyone taking it if they want it.

I was reluctant to post this for obvious reasons, but a friend of mine is a motor trader and has just had a Cross nicked from his pitch. The police told him Pandas are currently being targeted because the thieves have found a simple way to bypass the electronic immobiliser. He’s now fitting Stoplock Pros to all the cars he has to leave parked outside his showroom.

That's not good, hope it gets found and not wrecked too.

Abarth's are targeted regularly. I take it the Panda just has a basic immobiliser system too? Other than a steering lock has anyone installed an aftermarket alarm and / or tracker?

As a follow-up, I’ve just discovered this evening that no Stoplock fits the 2012-on Panda steering wheel. I tried a Pro, couldn’t make it fit, checked the fitting guide on the Stoplock website and even their Pro Elite model with its bigger bend isn’t compatible. A bit more research and I think the Milenco High Security steering wheel lock, which is equally well-tested, is going to be the best option for Pandas.

The Panda”s wheel always did seem quite chunky so I’m not massively surprised at that.. In the back of my mind is the thought that after managing to get in the car then defeat the immobiliser then starting the car, will a wheel bar prove that much of an obstacle? Wish I’d had one now to be fair though 😂. A colleague mentioned a “ghost immobiliser” which I’d not heard about but to tell the truth the initial expensive outlay would be preferable and cheaper than the situation I’m now in. You all take care. M

How much of a a problem is stolen Fiats ?
The most common are

Range Rover Sport
Range Rover Autobiography
Land Rover Discovery
Range Rover Vogue
BMW X5
Range Rover Evoque
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Land Rover Defender, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW X 6, Mercedes-Benz GL
Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW M3, Audi Q7

Which mostly have keyless entry and are stolen using a simple relay system

Are the videos plugging something in the diagnostic port on a latter fiats genuine ? Or has the car already been unlocked with the remote first

I was under the impression that if you locked the car with the remote

The BCM (body computer) is locked down and the OBDII port none functional until a correct code is received via the remote.

Making a cloned key while at a garage or car park would be quite simple. Rather than trying to bypass the three separate systems

Remote
Transponder
Key

The mechanical part by comparison is easy

Once the door lock has been pick you can lock the tool and transfer it to the ignition

It is possible. I know of two way. That should work. I just don’t see it worth the cost and effort when there are easier more lucrative targets

Not that this helps the original poster

I had a quick look at the spate of 500s stolen in Bristol as reported in the papers. All but one were a new owner.

“ How much of a a problem is stolen Fiats ?”

It’s a big problem for me I can tell you 😂.
I think it’s a case of if you’ve got the tool to steal a loaf of bread but not the one for razor blades, you’ll take the bread even though the blades are worth more. A colleague in the same postcode area heard about mine and asked what colour it was. He’d seen 2 reports on a local group of burnt out pandas being found in a local park recently. Not the same colour as mine but maybe mine’ll be the next one. The one I saw photos of was a Cross so maybe the 4wd ones are more fun to rag around the park. Point is it happens whether we can think of a good reason for it or not, so be aware. M

Even if they weren’t being taken for a rag around, to replace mine with the same age, mileage and condition would be £7k+ at todays prices. If you have the tools to bag 7 grand in a few minutes it would be worth it (presuming you’re a scrote). It takes me months to earn 7 grand.

We recently have had a gang convicted of steeling mainly Fiats Including 4 Abarths from one garage.

Out of the 19 they were convicted of they were all stolen via the relay system for keyless entry or with keys. They were not subtle or clever and murdered at least one person

It is my understanding If you lock the car with the remote and some picks the lock and opens the door the body computer goes into a full lockdown. It’s a common problem where people have lost there keys and have to buy a new body computer. You can’t plug a dongle into the OBD port as it’s now switched off.

Are the videos plugging something in the diagnostic port on a latter fiats genuine ?
This company will say they are...

Now that we are out of the EU, can we still use the distance selling laws? If so, could buy one, test it, then send it back within the 14 days....

This company will say they are...

Now that we are out of the EU, can we still use the distance selling laws? If so, could buy one, test it, then send it back within the 14 days....
Since 2012 nobody as far as I know
Has opened the door without a key and not locked down the BCM

There’s loads of threads on mhhauto there is a roamer that if you hold the door key for 10 seconds without opening the door it disabled the lockout the fact that in the next 10 years nobody has confirm this probably points to BS

Once locked you have no option except open the BCM up as there’s no communication to the OBD port

If you lock and unlock the car without the remote things are different

I have to park my car on the street and have always used a Disklok (small size), it's a bit big and heavy but seems to have worked so far. Never really trusted all the new electronic security devices.

I have to park my car on the street and have always used a Disklok (small size), it's a bit big and heavy but seems to have worked so far. Never really trusted all the new electronic security devices.
It’s a deterrent

Any visual deterrent is good

And would certainly stop any chancer who has just kept a spare key

However no steering wheel lock can last to a determined attack.

Just watch one taken off in under 4 minutes and that was there first attempt and reckoned if they tried again it wouldn’t last 3 minutes

Most cars now are stolen with key which often mean the house is broken into. If the steering lock key is with the others it makes no difference.

MOT garage
Tyre exhaust fitters
Car parks
The cars previous keepers
Locksmiths if you had a spare key made
Or anyone who has ever had access to the keys can read the transponder within a minute the equipment is less than £50

A lot of places not only do you leave your keys but they also have your address

Since 2012 nobody as far as I know
Has opened the door without a key and not locked down the BCM

There’s loads of threads on mhhauto there is a roamer that if you hold the door key for 10 seconds without opening the door it disabled the lockout the fact that in the next 10 years nobody has confirm this probably points to BS

Once locked you have no option except open the BCM up as there’s no communication to the OBD port

If you lock and unlock the car without the remote things are different
Fairly sure snapping or picking the ignition lock with allow the obd port to be made active again

Fairly sure snapping or picking the ignition lock with allow the obd port to be made active again
Absolutely not

Those days are long gone

Until the BSI receives a valid key code both the body and ECU will do nothing

If a door has be opened before a valid code the BSI will lock down even further and switch the OBD port off

That’s not to say it can’t be hacked but in the last 10 years I haven’t seen an easy way
You can directly wire and read the key information and pre code an original key. The equipment is several grand and will take a good 1/2 hour or more even if you done a few

9559DDB8-F51B-4853-A047-19B84CE8FBC6.jpeg

Koalar, how do you account for the two thefts reported in the first two posts of this thread, both taking a few minutes without keys?
I can’t I wasn’t there.

I have read the police warninga. Their only advise given is to keep your keys in a shielding pouch and away from easy reach. They obviously suspect remote coping or relaying.

Mechanical locks are easy with the correct tool

but you can’t pick the lock and plug something in the OBD of the car was lock with the remote on a post 2012. There are locksmith forums if one worked I would expect loads of thanks that works for me. What I do do see is loads of I am now locked out of the BSI what do I do now.

Personally I would suspect in most cases someone down the line has kept a spare key and then sold it separately to the criminals. It’s like getting payed twice for the same car.

If you have ever had a spare key made. How do you know that only one was made criminals also work and train as locksmiths

Back