Technical Stilo Windscreen Washers

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Windscreen Washers

Hi all,

As you all know the temperatures are pretty grim at the mo, -11 where I live last night.

I park my car under shelter and light at my apartment so its not freezing. However on my commute to work, as its -11 the washers are freezing up and thus I can't wash my windscreen, which gets filthy with all the snow and dirt in the air thus making visibility poor.

Question is; is there anything I can do stop the washer reservoir from freezing whilst driving?

Cheers.

Carry a squeezy bottle of water with you when the window gets dirty slow and stick your hand out of the window and give it a squirt.
...or (when it's -15°C) just shut your eyes tight to get the same effect ;)

The key is to make sure your water bottle, and most importantly all feed pipes, are well protected BEFORE it freezes using a neat solution if necessary.

I guess the best solution is heated washer jets, that some manufacturers offer as part of a 'winter pack'. I think the Stilo may have been fitted with these in some Scandinavian markets, but they would be a pain to retro-fit.

...or (when it's -15°C) just shut your eyes tight to get the same effect ;)

The key is to make sure your water bottle, and most importantly all feed pipes, are well protected BEFORE it freezes using a neat solution if necessary.

Obviously you havent tried it cause it works quite well for me, I did forget to mention to have some windscreen stuff in the bottle but there again I would have thought a man of your intelligence would have worked that out.

I guess the best solution is heated washer jets, that some manufacturers offer as part of a 'winter pack'. I think the Stilo may have been fitted with these in some Scandinavian markets, but they would be a pain to retro-fit.

My JTD has heated washer jets fitted as standard. They don't help if your washer resevoir or pipework is frozen though.

I'm going to do some serious looking into retro-fitting this feature....are there any pointers you can throw my way? thinking to have them on the same circuit as heated rear screen, mirrors...cos washer jets freeze up so quickly...what "extra" wiring does your JTD have to enable them? could i just buy heated washer jets and work the wiring back?....

The Bravo definately has a heated variant theres a member fitted them to his old bravo although not for the heated element. ADRIAN BRAVO has a guide in Bravo, Bravo and Marea guides.

Last edited:
The fact is if you've taken the time to protect your water reservoir from freezing then nothing else really matters since this solution will also naturally tend to free existing ice from the windscreen.

Spraying any liquid, hot or cold, onto the windscreen is not really a clever idea unless you're sure that liquid isn't going to freeze.

Heated washer jets are a bonus feature and not a replacement for a proper washer solution.

Back