General Stilo unwell (well kinda)!!!

Currently reading:
General Stilo unwell (well kinda)!!!

sinnerb

Well after almost 3 weeks trouble free motoring my Stilo is poorly.. Happened on Friday afternoon car started badly overheating all sorts of lights flashing at me and car beeping.
Then bad burning smell off the engine and squealing noise when reversing started.

Call garage I bought it off who suggested taking it straight there, on way it was fun whenever I needed to slow down it went straight into the red again.

They had a quick look at it and sent me away in a loan car (nice lil 1.2 punto), called them today to check progress all they would say is there is an airlock which is taking a while to drain and they had to hire some parts in which should be there Tuesday, couldn't tell me exactly what was wrong with it :confused: just that the warranty will cover it all and I should call back Tuesday when head technican is there..

Not such a good start to my Stilo ownership but hopefully they will sort it all out and it will be better than ever..

Till then I am having fun thrashing their Punto :)

Sorry to hear of the poor start to your Stilo ownership experience... :eek: Put a new exhaust on mine last week and had an alloy refurbed, didnt stop my car on the way back from Brum today reporting Airbag Failure umpteen times followed by ASR Failure... just pulled over, rummaged under the passenger seat checking connectors moved said seat back & forth and it cleared :D

hmmm, not a great start is it sinnerb, but hopefully this will be the only problem you have, generally they are good reliable cars so fingers crossed for ya ;)

I dont suppose you had a look under the bonnet ? to see if basic things like water levels where ok or whether you were loosing water anywhere sounds like you maybe had the start of an waterpump failing hence the squeeling and smoke also the over heating became worse when you slowed down because the water circalating at a slower rate with the engine running slower :)

Oh far to technical for me...
Will know exactly what it was tomorrow when hopefully can pick the car up again.. But it does seem to have a fair few problems inclu only getting 18mpg on average and those listed.

But they have also agreed to service it at same time FOC so can't complain there

sinnerb said:
Oh far to technical for me...
Will know exactly what it was tomorrow when hopefully can pick the car up again.. But it does seem to have a fair few problems inclu only getting 18mpg on average and those listed.

But they have also agreed to service it at same time FOC so can't complain there

Well I hope everything goes well for you sinnerb (y) keep us posted with a result :) iy yi i 18 to the gall me thinks youve been giving it some :shakehead

If only thats even on MW at a steady 70mph in 5th gear. See its a poorly car really..

See thats why i'm saying its unwell... Should be back tomorrow so will know more then

Been away for a bit unwell and holiday but have an update on car

Finally got it back last Tusday after 12 days with Fiat they were waiting on a part to come in, car has had its Radiator replaced and the water pump. This was the reason they say for all the problems I had. :confused:

Have only done 80miles since getting it back and yesterday while driving had only done 5 miles from home when engine started to heat up again and hit about 75% temp, the burning smell is back in the engine and it is very lumpy when idle.. :bang:

Called dealer again and it's to be dropped back in on Tuesday, so in the 5 weeks or so thatI've had the car I've done 300 miles (I normally do that in a week) and the car has spent 16 days in Garage who knows how long they will have it for this time.

Think I need to have a word with the manager this time to try and get something sorted, as I've not exactly had best start to it all.

bozzy said:
sinnerb, how old is the car? You appear supremely calm for somebody going through this level of inconveience. I applaud you.

Its an 04 plate registered in July 04. See I think I have been calm till now but not so sure I will be when I get there on Tuesday. Considering it was supposedly serviced (book is stamped) just before I picked it up 5 weeks ago it doesn't give me much faith in letting them service it again for me...

If it wasn't for the hassle and fact I'd lose so much I'd trade it back in again in an instant...

Sounds like head gasket.
Changing the water pump is bizarre- water pump either makes noises, seizes, leaks or pumps water like it should. Pull off the radiator outlet pipe - oooo look lots of water pumping out. Pump ok

Changing the radiator is a mystery too- if it's got hot water going in one end and cool water coming out the other then that's what it does- radiates heat away.
Check temp on radiator outlet, compare with inlet temp-
Dropped quite a few degrees? Radiator fine.
Dropped huge amount? Radiator blocked.
Simple checks that could save a lot of time

Last edited:
Last time they gave me a 1.2 punto which took some abuse I must say, yeah its a 1.6 dynamic..

What got to me last time was the fact they had the car for 12 days and used numerous excuses as to the delay in fixing it, l was in hosp for a few days of it so didnt get to me too much. But when I rang on the Tuesday they were like oh yeah its almost ready you can collect it after 12...

Between 12 and 3 they rang me twice to see if I could drop the courtesy car back and collect mine... Once I got there I was to say the least less than polite about the fact they can delay me 12 days with crap excuses yet hassle me to pick it up :eek:

(semi rant over) :mad:

I'm sure Trading Standards would be able to advise you what to do in this situation. Don't think about losing money on that car, make them take it back because it's not fit for the purpose you bought it and get something that is.
Double check with the Trading standards people but I'm pretty sure you'd have a good case.

Have a quick update

Car is back with me again, has had another new water pump added seems the one last week may have been faulty. I insisted before I took it back that they could somehow gaurantee that it wouldn't happen again so I now have the promise if it does in next 8 weeks they will take the car back at the price I bought it for.. (made him put this in writing) (y)

Also have a voucher for the 2yr service free, this is due in June so will be welcome.

I used the line if I had wanted a Punto I would have bought one, that I may need to use the 30day return that is valid for all used car sales, oh and did they happen to have the number of trading standards free.

Have to say car is driving like a new car and is much better than when I bought it even, it was also valeted for me prior to pick up so can't complain too much.

Was given a Grande Punto as hire car for last 2 days which I have to say I hated (sorry all that have them), so I am glad to be back in my Stilo fingers crossed for some trouble free motoring now...

Oh and I have to say the dealership have been excellent and not as much as a horror as I thought after reading some peoples experiences.. :)

sinnerb said:
Have a quick update

Car is back with me again, has had another new water pump added seems the one last week may have been faulty. I insisted before I took it back that they could somehow gaurantee that it wouldn't happen again so I now have the promise if it does in next 8 weeks they will take the car back at the price I bought it for.. (made him put this in writing) (y)

Also have a voucher for the 2yr service free, this is due in June so will be welcome.

I used the line if I had wanted a Punto I would have bought one, that I may need to use the 30day return that is valid for all used car sales, oh and did they happen to have the number of trading standards free.

Have to say car is driving like a new car and is much better than when I bought it even, it was also valeted for me prior to pick up so can't complain too much.

Was given a Grande Punto as hire car for last 2 days which I have to say I hated (sorry all that have them), so I am glad to be back in my Stilo fingers crossed for some trouble free motoring now...

Oh and I have to say the dealership have been excellent and not as much as a horror as I thought after reading some peoples experiences.. :)

Well Sinnerb that post was a joy to read and you certainly for want of another term PUT IT UP THEM I do hope your ownership of your Fiat Stilo becomes now trouble free and you enjoy the car for the great car it CAN be so good luck and happy motoring (y)

Back