General Stilo Stereo Repair or Replace?

Currently reading:
General Stilo Stereo Repair or Replace?

studio_two

New member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4
Points
1
Hello,

The radio no longer works on my Stilo Stereo. CD changer is fine, but all I get on the radio is static.

I had the unit checked out. It seems to be some fault with the electronics(rather than a problem with the aeriel). I tried the diagnostics instructions and the Signal Strength is only registering 0.3V.

The Dilemma is whether I should try and get it repaired (the dealers cannot help with this at all) or buy a replacement (£300). Needless to say, they are VERY keen to sell me a new unit.

I'm reluctant replace the unit with an after market model as I'm unsure if it will work with the existing CD changer. It's still going to cost me nearly £200 to replace it with a decent Alpine.

Can anyone can offer any advice / guidance?

TIA
Stephen
 

wozza

Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
488
Points
57
Location
Manchester
£300 for a stock replacement is ridiculous.

For a tad extra you could get yourself a decent alpine and a CD changer to go with it.
 

[email protected]

Grand Stilismo
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
665
Points
112
Location
South Bucks
You can pick up a Sony MP3 Player for under £160.00 !!!

here's mine
th_Picture036.jpg



I also have the origanal Stilo one (tape) make me an offer
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
39,858
Points
7,249
Location
Preston
studio_two said:
Hello,

The radio no longer works on my Stilo Stereo. CD changer is fine, but all I get on the radio is static.

I had the unit checked out. It seems to be some fault with the electronics(rather than a problem with the aeriel). I tried the diagnostics instructions and the Signal Strength is only registering 0.3V.

The Dilemma is whether I should try and get it repaired (the dealers cannot help with this at all) or buy a replacement (£300). Needless to say, they are VERY keen to sell me a new unit.

I'm reluctant replace the unit with an after market model as I'm unsure if it will work with the existing CD changer. It's still going to cost me nearly £200 to replace it with a decent Alpine.

Can anyone can offer any advice / guidance?

TIA
Stephen

Dealers dont repair but usually send to local audio specialists this is normally £25-30.Are you sure the set is faulty-tried another aerial before you splash out?
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
39,858
Points
7,249
Location
Preston
Suppose it depends on the fault(or nature of the fault)but from personal experience we get charged a flat fee of £25-30 for repair...of course in some cases it may be more(new screens etc).
 

wotnowarninglight

Established member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
1,177
Points
147
Location
Here, there & everywhere!
I asked if it were a standard radio cassette as me dad went through 4 or 5 warranty replacement units due to dead tape decks. Eventually he bought a stoney radio cass. head unit & 10 disc multi changer which I ended up fitting to his stilo as he had lost faith in stock stilo unit. We did try fitting a Multipla multichanger a colleague of his had going spare but I couldnt get it to work with standard stilo headunit! I have a standard stilo radio cassette in the garage doing nothing...
 

[email protected]

Grand Stilismo
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
665
Points
112
Location
South Bucks
AppleSei said:
Will that work with his changer? Hes not interested in after market units if not

No it only works with Sony Changers BUT!!! Its a MP3 unit ... who needs a changer when you can have 10 albums on one Disc ?
(I have a 10 disc changer in the boot anyway).
 
OP
OP
S

studio_two

New member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4
Points
1
Thanks to everyone who replied.

It's one of those radio cassettes with a Blaupunkt 5 CD Changer in the glove box. I have never used the cassette unit.

Just to clarify, I took the system to my local audio specialist and they plugged in another aeriel and it was still the same problem. I was then sent off to ND Haigh in Huddersfield. They advised me that they could not source any parts for the radio, therefore the best they could do would be to look inside the unit and see if they could see any faults.

I have already looked inside but there are no loose wires or signs of scorching on the main board. There is a strong possibility that I would be paying someone £40 to tell me they can't fix it either.

I just want my radio back as it was! :(

I'm going to keep my eye out on ebay as suggested above. The going rate seems to about £100 and all things considered I think I would be happy with that.
 

AppleSei

RIP L181 VBB
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
16,628
Points
2,626
Location
West Yorks
No it only works with Sony Changers BUT!!! Its a MP3 unit ... who needs a changer when you can have 10 albums on one Disc ?
(I have a 10 disc changer in the boot anyway).

I totally agree with you....i have the same headunit in the sei ;) :)
 

[email protected]

Grand Stilismo
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
665
Points
112
Location
South Bucks
studio_two said:
I'm going to keep my eye out on ebay as suggested above. The going rate seems to about £100 and all things considered I think I would be happy with that.


As I said I do have one spare, Its not going back in the car as I have replaced it with the Sony.

Hmmmmmmmm Maybe I should put it on E-bay:idea:
 
OP
OP
S

studio_two

New member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4
Points
1
As I said I do have one spare, Its not going back in the car as I have replaced it with the Sony.

Hmmmmmmmm Maybe I should put it on E-bay:idea:

Hello,
I would certainly be interested. I'm sure we could sort something out.
Are there any rules for buying and selling on here?

Is it recommended (for both our sakes)?

Thanks,
Stephen
 

Stu DemonD

Super LOL!
Joined
Sep 12, 2003
Messages
46,073
Points
7,136
studio_two said:
Are there any rules for buying and selling on here?

Is it recommended (for both our sakes)?

Thanks,
Stephen
No rules as such, you are both members, so can make own deals!

BUT I would suggest Matt bungs it in the Classifieds, then marks it as sold straight away ;) - you could then get some Trader ratings then :)
 
OP
OP
S

studio_two

New member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
4
Points
1
You can pick up a Sony MP3 Player for under £160.00 !!!

here's mine
th_Picture036.jpg



I also have the origanal Stilo one (tape) make me an offer

Hello,
I wondered if you were still interested in selling you old head unit?

Thanks,
Stephen
 
Top