General Stilo rear brake caliper

Currently reading:
General Stilo rear brake caliper

9jdm

Sorry guys to raise the subject of calipers again. I have just set about changing the pads on the stilo. Got all the advice from the forum and the tool off ebay. Passsenger side no problem piston retracted slowly and i was feeling quite proud. Then the driver side. different story. The piston will not retract. It is difficult to keep hold of whilst turning but dspite all my efforts the tool was bending but no movement on piston.
Is the thing seized or what. Is there a solution or is it replacement. For time being I have reassembled but there is nothing left of pad.
I have searched many posts but can't find an answer. Please help guys.
If it is replacement any tips on where I can get one and can it be changed without bleeding the system.
Thanks,

Im a bit of a stilo noob but from what i gather the piston on the drivers side retracts clockwise.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago changing the back callipers on the stilo. both of them wouldn't retract. I bought the too like you, but they had completely seized. i have used an anti rust wd40 type spray before that has loosened it a bit. however a couple of weeks ago, one I managed to retract with a very large amount of effort, but the other wasn't moving AT ALL. in the end im afraid I had to shell out for a new calliper, it was 65 quid, if I traded my knackered one in, or 75 quid if I didn't trade it in.
what did help on the one that did retract, was to undo the nipple by the calliper, to let some brake fluid drip out, this lets some of the pressure out.
one other thing, if you damage the rubbers around the base of the piston, then it'll probably have to be replaced, as it'll just let the whole inner calliper rust.

Back