Technical Stilo Loose Wire Message

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Loose Wire Message

jjbrien

I have a Fiat Stilo 1.9JTD it been giving a few problems latley but tonight took the biscuit. Firstly drove out of work the car got 500 meters down the road and then cut out saying engine fault. Started the car again and got another 500m and cut out engine fault. Tried to start the car again then all the power went on the car and it just would not start again. Had a loose wire message 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks. The card had a full service on friday and MOT on saturday no issues only saying the battery was a bit loose.

Tonight I had to call out the RAC as for the life of me I could not get the car to start at all. The RAC man put a a jump lead and battery booster on the car and got it working again. He said it looked like the car was loosing power. Has anyone else experinced this? Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this or how much it would cost to get this fixed. The battery seems fine looks like a wiring issue.

check connections (especially d4 under battery cover - there is a guide..) check earth is ok (there is a guide for that too..) ask AA or any battery place to do a leek test.. this would show if problem is electrical.. if it is not - i'd say it is likely to be alternator earth or belt or alternator itself

Hi,
if the car operates normally in-between shutdown episodes then a major suspect would be the crankcase sensor. lots on the forum for this fault 'loose connection'
regards
Gerald

Hi,
if the car operates normally in-between shutdown episodes then a major suspect would be the crankcase sensor. lots on the forum for this fault 'loose connection'
regards
Gerald

many thanks will get my mechanic to look into this one is it an expensice job?

On my JTD, I had a problem with cutting out and the "loose connection" message which turned out to be the RPM sensor - not sure if this is the same item as the crankcase sensor mentioned, sorry.

Cost for my local Fiat garage to fix was about £150 all in, which is probably over the odds but they could do it quickly and gave me a courtesy car, so I took the hit.

I didn't have a total loss of electrical power though, after cutting out everything on the car worked normally until I tried to start the engine, so perhaps your problem has a different cause, or there is a secondary problem as well?

I take it you've looked at the obvious stuff, battery connections and earth leads? It's surprising what can work loose. Good luck, let u kno how you get on.

Back