General Stilo JTD engine takes a long time to warm up

Currently reading:
General Stilo JTD engine takes a long time to warm up

Hi all, I have read all the threads and still cant decide if there is anything wrong or if this is normal.

It's getting cold now and the misses always goes on about how this car takes so long to warm up. And today I realized it too.

It is a stilo jtd 115. And in the morning now I leave the car running to warm up for about 10 min, the same time clear the ice off the car.

When it is time to drive the car the heaters are still not hot.

In the end they go hot but how come they take so long??????

Is this normal for a jtd?
water level is fine, oil is fine, air filter is fine, egr is fine but going to blank it off and battery is fine,

I had new glow plugs last year so their fine.

What could it be? Or is it normal.

Mine, if i do not have traffic and i keep it constant about 2000rpm the water level will be at 90 in about 10 minutes, this in movement only.
But if the traffic is horrible, and i shift only 1st & second gear (staying at every traffic light and every zebra), i reach 90 in double time.

Example: from my house to job (almost 20km) i have 90 on the clock when i park it:))

same 1.9 , 115hp. i do not stay idle in the parking lot to warm up. Key->checking-> start engine-> and in 20 seconds i leave.

Last edited:
I have been reading old posts all morning to try and find the problem. It seems that this is very normal.
The only thing I was concerned about was how come it doesn't warm up fast when I turn it on in the morning and leave it for about 10 minutes.
When I leave the car, I have got the back de mister on and the front heaters on at number 2 uswel. so maybe that is why it takes a while.

When I drive it goes up straight away, but when I put the heaters on at number 3 it drops down again.

My car has never ever gone over half way before, so I am thinking now is it worth spending money on a new thermostat and that it might not even change anything.

those in the link you gave look wiked but i am not going to install them as i am not going anywhere near the fiat electrics.

i will stick with my car as i will have a job finding another car with good power and 50mpg on a 1.9 turbo.

well the misses will just have to lump it, ha ha.
bloody hell, her new nissan micra warms up in like 5min and the heaters are boilin hot.

is it worth checking the bleeder point on top of the rad to check if i can get any air out of it, or is there no point.

what is the quickest way to de mist your windows? as i just put the heaters on full but doesnt work well in the winter when your windscreen is frozen over.
anybody found a good solution?

need that de mister button for the front windscreen like you got for the back window. brilliant button that is, my mother has it on her car and in 5 minutes it de mists the window and gets rid of all the frost.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
All cars take 15 minutes or so to warm up, diesels tend to take longer as they're bigger engines.

Shadey I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the engine as such, but the fact that diesels are inherently more efficient than petrol (dammit!) and the combusiton process generates a lot less heat, so the engine runs cooler and therefore takes significantly longer to warm up than a petrol engine.

My JTD 115 would still be almost stone cold after 10mins idling too. My Mk2 Punto JTD 80 was just the same.

I start mine up in the winter when it's really cold mostly to get the oil moving rather than for any de-icing purposes, as i know it won't heat up till i drive away anyway. I just have to scrape the ice off or use abit of de-icer.

I think when i left it idling for ages once (which i don't think is a good idea), it finally got to operating temperature after about 40 minutes, but that was with the heater fan on '1'. When the temp outside is below 3c, as soon as i stop at junctions, the coolant temp drops back from 1/2 way towards the 1/4 point.

Yours sounds completely normal to me. I wouldn't waste money on a thermostat - nothing's happened to mine in the 3 years i've owned it & nothing happened to the Punto in the 4.5 years i had that either (y)

Liam

cheers for all your help.
i looked at that link on ebay and that is the way forward for me.
it is a really simple idea and i can mount it anywhere. so think i will buy one to try out. anyone bought one of these before??????

it is a really simple idea and i can mount it anywhere. so think i will buy one to try out. anyone bought one of these before??????

My Stilo will probably be going by next Spring, but if my next car's a diesel Fiat/Alfa, i'll probably get one too - looks handy.

An auxiliary heater was available as an option to all JTD Stilos. It was run by a small diesel engine fitted under the car below the passenger seat area. It has it's own fuel supply, exhaust system and water pipes to connect it to the main engine cooling system. It's operated by a remote control but it wasn't an electric heater.

Attachments

• Aux Heater.JPG
    Aux Heater.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 98
those in the link you gave look wiked but i am not going to install them as i am not going anywhere near the fiat electrics.

The heater kit bypasses the cars electrics completely by going direct to the battery. You'll have no problems once its installed as long as you have a good battery ...

Shadey I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the engine as such, but the fact that diesels are inherently more efficient than petrol (dammit!) and the combusiton process generates a lot less heat, so the engine runs cooler and therefore takes significantly longer to warm up than a petrol engine.

You correct, there is a huge difference, I didn't think there was that much difference.

Petrol exhaust gases are hot, 1000-1400ºF. Diesel exhaust temps are much lower 500-800ºF, the volume of exhaust gases a Diesel produces per stroke is high compared to a petrol because it burns more air and fuel, producing more useable power per stroke.

Last edited:
Not an auxiliary heater with fuel.
I'm asking about an electric heater, which begins to warm the air inside the car , almost immediately after start up.
Like the ones used in Alfa 147

... the combusiton process generates a lot less heat...

hate to tell ya but... WRONG. rest of your post was pretty accurate though

petrol is more volatile and ignites at a lower temperature than diesel but diesel engines are more thermoefficient..

'self ignition temperatures' of diesel and petrol are 210*C and 245*C respectively, if memory serves me right. diesel engines work by compressing the air to a temperature above 210*C then injecting the fuel in at the right time but self ignition on a petrol is known as pinking so will run at a cooler temp for spark ignition

Last edited:

I'd disagree. Everyone seems to have forgotten the mass of a DERV unit is a lot more, so more engine block to dissipate the heat into before its warm (y)

In regards to these heaters powered by the cigarette lighter.

I looked into one of these when my heater matrix failed last winter on my Toyota MR2.
I remember reading somewhere that after 20 minutes of use at 150W, you risk melting your lighter socket.

I think they are OK, if you use them just when you start up your car, they are not supposed to replace your cars heater.

Back