Technical stilo gearbox noisy

Currently reading:
Technical stilo gearbox noisy

danhop

Hi guys, new to this. i have a 2005 stilo 1.6 16v active sport (xbox edition). this car as only done 30k miles and as developed a noisy gearbox. at speed its a general groan but at very low speed it sounds like a chip fork in your bike spokes. it seems to be in all gears. i have changed the gearbox oil but no improvement. any ideas, please dont tell me new gearbox:cry:

Hi guys, new to this. i have a 2005 stilo 1.6 16v active sport (xbox edition). this car as only done 30k miles and as developed a noisy gearbox. at speed its a general groan but at very low speed it sounds like a chip fork in your bike spokes. it seems to be in all gears. i have changed the gearbox oil but no improvement. any ideas, please dont tell me new gearbox:cry:

It sounds like it would need to be inspected to assess the condition and what needs to be done to rectify the issue.

sounds ok when free wheeling, forgot to mention the noise is only there under load, when i accelerate or use the engine to slow me down.

sorry to sound thick, but is the frontaxle joint inside or outside of the gearbox, can i easily check them?

just a quick thought, if the fault was on the drive shaft then the frequency of the noise would continue to increase as the wheels get faster, this is true until i change gear, then the frequency lowers again. i would imagine that this would suggest something early on in the gear box, not a drive shaft issue. am i right or am i missing something obvious. i'm not a mechanic. thanks

Just been to my local fiat dealer who confirmed gearbox, to repair box at least £750 labour plus parts. £1000 for new box plus around £400 labour. needless to say they had to pick me up off the floor and resussitate me.
This is shocking for a 4 year old car that has only done 30k.
I have been quoted around £280 for a second hand box from a breakers or £550 for a re-con.
I am tempted to attempt it my self, i have reasonable mechanical skill and dont mind the car been off the road for a while. does anybody have any thougts on this? Is it too hard for a home repair job?

No, but i know a man who has!
also, would you hapen to know if a box of a 1.4 will fit on a 1.6 ?

Back