Technical Stilo front wishbone size

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo front wishbone size

tomfoster

My Stilo failed its MOT on front spring and wishbone issues. I've sorted out the spring, but the wishbone is causing problems as I don't know whether my car has the 12mm or 14mm bush size wishbone. How can I check this - I'm not clear about which bit changed size - is it the bolt that holds the bush in, or is it the bush itself? Thanks for any advice! I don't want to take it off the car until I have the replacement, as I need the car while the weather's crap!

Last edited:
It's a 2004 1.4 - I read on here that the changeover was in June 2004, my car was registered in March, so in theory it will be the 12mm. I have read elsewhere that even with the chassis number, people have been told it's uncertain which one they need. I was hoping someone with some experience of it could tell me exactly which bit it is I need to measure!

I'm not aware of any external marking which will tell you the bush size. Maybe if you clean up the original part there will be a serial number cast into it. Otherwise you'll have to remove the wishbones and hop on a bus to the dealers.

id be supprised if the 14mm bolt and the 12mm bolt have the same size head ? so can we tell by bolt head size?
like you im not even sure which bolt is the 12mm or 14mm on the wishbone, im guessing its the one nearest footwells with bolt going into chassis straight up?

have changed mine in the past and think you will find the suspect bolt is the horizontal bolt near front of car that goes through front bush of wishbone..if you are doing the replacement yourself then just take the bolt out and measure the stem/thread section of bolt put it back in while you order new wishbone as you will be taking bolts out out any way, is what I did when not sure which size to order you easy tell with basic tape measure if it 12 or 14 set of calipers even better and a bit of soak in penetrating oil helps to gfet bolts out as they do rust up

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - yes, I'm doing it myself, so I guess I'll have to take it out and measure it as suggested. I did one on my old Punto and it was a rust nightmare, so here's hoping this time it'll be easier!

Back