Technical Stilo Engine Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Engine Noise

Our 2004 Multiwagon 1.6 has a service tonight. I left it with a mechanic that looks after all my cars and knows his stuff. During the service he detected what he described as a "dry noise" from the engine. He suspected that it could be either the alternator or the water pump playing up. The car has just under 33,000 miles on the clock. Has anyone had any issues with either of these parts on a 1.6 Stilo?

Also, tyre wear. I put new front tyres on it just 4000 miles ago and already they are worn out on the outside edge of both tyres. :mad: I know that there have been some others with issues of uneven tyre wear but two new tyres in 4000 miles must be a record...

It's unlikely with that mileage on the clock that is the water pump. Depends on whether it is city mileage or motorway. Could be a cam belt idler bearing wearing. Did you buy the car new?

Another thing to consider is the aux belt tensioner bearings wearing out. Not an expensive item, but the belt would need replacing also.

As for tyre wear, you will find tons of threads and advice on here. 4 wheel laser alignment is the only solution.

Last edited:
It's unlikely with that mileage on the clock that is the water pump. Depends on whether it is city mileage or motorway. Could be a cam belt idler bearing wearing. Did you buy the car new?

Another thing to consider is the aux belt tensioner bearings wearing out. Not an expensive item, but the belt would need replacing also.

As for tyre wear, you will find tons of threads and advice on here. 4 wheel laser alignment is the only solution.

I remember a low mileage 1.6 'er with a noisy idler bearing once upon a time.

Steve,

I had the same tyre issues on my Stilo where they went bald on one side - I recall Kwikfit remarking that all they had were Stilos with bad tracking (fleet cars).

I had a 4 wheel alignment done before getting my new alloys and I think that did the trick.

Back