Technical Stilo Engine Conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Engine Conversion

Hey guys, Im looking in to the possibility of an engine coversion, but haven't yet decided.
so i've got a few questions. Is it a big job to fit the 1.8 engine in to the 1.4? what will have to be replaced?

does the coupe 2litre 20valve turbo fit in to the stilo.. has it been done before?

What other conversion possibilities are there? Grande Tjet? Possibly PUNTO HGT?

and please no-one say "dont bother" "too much hastle" "buy an abarth"

seen this on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Punto-HGT-engine_W0QQitemZ270381262538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270381262538&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i think you can remove all electrics for starters (airbag/abs ecus might interface with generic engine/body ecu that you will buy.. unless you know someone who can program stilo ecus from source as it will have to be compiled to work with new engine and old electrics etc.) as i've never done it i might be wrong.. you can fit any engine into any car given enough cash to pay for modifications

it doesn't look any bigger than my 1.8 but requires more space for intercooler, oil cooler, etc. you will def need to modify engine bay to fit it (i'd love to know what your insurance is going to be like)

I would have thought the bigger issue would be getting the other exisiting computers in the car to work with a different ecu and sorting the electrics.

If the body computer is happy to work without talking to the ECU at all you might be able to do it, there was a guy on here who turbo'd a 2.4 20v, but couldnt get the ecu he had to work with the rest of the car, might be worth having a word with him.

Thread here https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/114183-fiat-stilo-abarth-2-4l-20v-turbo.html

Dan

Last edited:
Hey guys, Im looking in to the possibility of an engine coversion, but haven't yet decided.
so i've got a few questions. Is it a big job to fit the 1.8 engine in to the 1.4? what will have to be replaced?

does the coupe 2litre 20valve turbo fit in to the stilo.. has it been done before?

What other conversion possibilities are there? Grande Tjet? Possibly PUNTO HGT?

and please no-one say "dont bother" "too much hastle" "buy an abarth"

The 2.0 20vt engine will fit and will probably be able to use Abarth mounts etc as its nearly the same anyway. I doubt the sixspeed gearbox would fit in there as well but it is a possibilty.

Problems will be that obviously brakes need uprating but there are brembo kits out there as well as uprating the fuel supply, adding intercoolers etc.

The biggest issue as said will be getting the body computer c/w immobilizer to communicate with the engine ecu of the 20vt engine which will be from the coupe - i doubt that an Abarth engine ecu could be remapped to work on a turbo'd car but is worth looking at that.

You could look at tuning the 1.4 engine you have currently with options like supercharging but would have to be done right first time for it to be reliable-ish :p Rotrex do kits and there is already a 1.4 GP running a kit from them. http://italtecnicatuning.com/content/view/15/30/

Last edited:
The 2.0 20vt engine will fit and will probably be able to use Abarth mounts etc as its nearly the same anyway. I doubt the sixspeed gearbox would fit in there as well but it is a possibilty.

Problems will be that obviously brakes need uprating but there are brembo kits out there as well as uprating the fuel supply, adding intercoolers etc.

The biggest issue as said will be getting the body computer c/w immobilizer to communicate with the engine ecu of the 20vt engine which will be from the coupe - i doubt that an Abarth engine ecu could be remapped to work on a turbo'd car but is worth looking at that.

You could look at tuning the 1.4 engine you have currently with options like supercharging but would have to be done right first time for it to be reliable-ish :p Rotrex do kits and there is already a 1.4 GP running a kit from them. http://italtecnicatuning.com/content/view/15/30/

hmmm, i'll email them, as my engine is near enough the same as that one

re the ECU.

might be worth looking into fooling the stock ECU (provide it plausible signals down the sensor wires), leaving it in situ and then using something like an MS/DTA/Emerald to run the engine.

Looks like we can summarise this thread with 2 questions then:

1. Has anyone ever managed to fit a different ECU to a Stilo (other than a blanked refurb) ?
  2. Has anyone ever managed to disable/patch the Body Computer such that it doesn't care what ECU you have - and if the answer is "yes" then how many of the existing systems on the car still function afterwards?
Until you can answer the above then you don't need to concern yourself with what engines can physically be fitted.

Strikes me your best bet is with Citizen Smith's idea or perhaps drive a bit further to Greece and try to persuade the Greek boys to do a turbo conversion (not actually certain they've done one on a 1.4 though :chin:)

Back