Technical Stilo Clattering again

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Clattering again

Help please Chaps,

I know this subject has been covered a multitude of times but here goes...

on start up my JTD sounds like a heap with a loud metallic clattering sound coming from the engine (drivers side). The noise after a while will usually suddenly stop, but if I put the air conditioning on it will usually come back loudly.

At first, having read the posts on engine/gearbox mounting problems, I thought it would be something to do with one of those mounts. I pulled the gearbox mount off and fiddled around but the rubber still seemed soft so I put off changing it. Reading the threads again, it appears that problems to do with this gearbox mount cause a rattling around the passenger area and that switching the air-con on reduces the rattle (i.e. opposite to my problem)

I then thought it might be the engine or stabilising mount, but I'm not convinced since I suspect that the noise would not suddenly stop and start like it does if one of these were the cause.

So could it be a pulley problem (does the air-con get driven via a known problem pulley ?)

Can anyone shed any light ? :confused:

Hi,

Piece of wee wee to replace.
remove front wheel (drivers side) remove plastic trays etc which will then expose offending pully. 4 torx type in the middle remove after you have taken off the drive belt, rinse and repeat.
Just as side note the TVD's (pulley to you and i ) are made by corteco and the part number is 80001032;)
see here .................www.corteco.com and use their online catalogue. One will set you back £65 (about)
Any more help needed then please let me know.

Cheers

The crankshaft pulley was modified a while ago so you'll probably need much shorter bolts to fit the new one with.

Both the old and new bolts are RIBE, not Torx.

Attachments

• Modified Crank Pulley.JPG
    Modified Crank Pulley.JPG
    865.8 KB · Views: 69
If it is the crankshaft pulley, you may be able to see cracks in the rubber damper section or the rubber may be disintegrating and spraying bits around the area. You may also be able to move the outer metal section relative to the inner section.

However, I had a slight noise from mine last year that sounded like a petrol car pinking. My crankshaft pulley looked and felt OK so I checked and replaced all the other pulleys in the area. That didn't cure the problem so as a last resort, I replaced the crankshaft pulley and the noise stopped. I still have the old pulley but it looks and feels perfect though.

I would think that because yours is a clattering noise, the problem part should be more obvious than mine.

Last edited:
So here comes the next question:
How do you release the tension on the belt to remove it ?

(ps. I've just driven the car across the length of France thinking it was just an engine mount problem. :eek: Don't know whether to feel lucky or stupid !)

Last edited:
So here comes the next question:
How do you release the tension on the belt to remove it ?

(ps. I've just driven the car across the length of France thinking it was just an engine mount problem. :eek: Don't know whether to feel lucky or stupid !)

Hi,

You may need to get a grown up to help you :D
The tension is kept on the belt by a sprung tensioner, you need to get someone to lever the tensioner back while you slip the belt off the pulley.
Reverse to put the belt back on. I have done a couple of these pulleys and they are very straight forward to do.

Cheers,

You need to turn and hold this bolt anti-clockwise to release the auxiliary drive belt tension.

You'll need a long or extended 15mm spanner for it.

Make a drawing of the belt's route before removing it.

Attachments

• Aux Belt Tens.JPG
    Aux Belt Tens.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 41
Thanks very much guys.
The parts are ordered.
(I found that the Torx bit removed the RIBE bolts OK.)

Good to hear it ;)
Did you manage to get a corteco part or was it from fiat .
The only reason i ask is getting hold of a pulley in a corteco box rather than fiat proved somewhat difficult a few months ago although they are identical but the corteco one was somewhat cheaper !!

Cheers for now

Hi.
Almost defiantly the crank pulley the air con makes it rattle louder.
Don’t be tempted to pull the bolts up to hard I snapped one of mine with very little effort.

Back