Technical Stilo Abarth thermostat

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Abarth thermostat

Neil Barker

Paparrazi
I have the situation with my 3dr Arbarth (48K) where the engine takes longer to warm-up than it used to - gets to normal pretty quickly when at speed, but in the run-in to work in the morning it seems slower.

I'm guessing that it's a stuck thermostat - is changing a thermostat on an Abarth one of those 'difficult' jobs ?

See if you can test whether your thermostat is opening by starting the engine from cold and then keep your hand on the water hose near the thermostat. If the thermostat is stuck open the hose will very slowly get warm. If the thermostat is working properly there should be a sudden and unmistakeable rush from cold to very hot, too hot to keep your hand on, as the thermostat opens.

Might save you some work and expense

Last edited:
One bit of advice is to look at the clips holding the pipes on measure them and go get some jubilee clips the same size and replace the old ones, as they are bloody awful to get off and even worse to put back on, this will save you a lot of time mine on my 1.8 took half an hour start to finish.
Karl

Good advise from Rowena..change them bloomin clips..and top up with fresh coolant (y)

And here is a diag to help you on your way..

naread.exe

Stat is Number 1..:)

As I expected, FIAT want £49.90 and Shop4 parts want £41 selivered to my door.

this is why I don't bother with FIAT if any other source exists.
Yes; but making assumptions is a dodgy game.

I once bought a new battery from what I assumed would be the cheapest source in town. The following day I visited the main dealer (actually within walking distance) and discovered I could have purchased a branded battery, with a longer warranty for less money :doh: (this was actually with a Rover dealer rather than Fiat)

As a general rule you're saver with OEM products too.

I can see the logic, but my local Fiat dealer isn't too great on getting parts ordered correctly, I've ordered bits from them before and often they arrive and aren't the ones I wanted. I've dealt with shop4parts quite a bit over the last few years and they always get the order spot on.

I just don't have faith in Fiat parts dept. that I use at the moment.

Back