Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD fuel pump problem

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD fuel pump problem

OldMan

Hi All,

I have this problem with my Stilo for a year now, every couple of hundred Km the engine cuts off. :mad:
The dealer did not know a solution because there are no foult codes.
He suggested replacing expensive parts just for good luck. :eek:
I think I have located the problem to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. :devil:

The current true the pump , measured at the inertia switch, suddenly drops slowly from more than 4 Amp to 2,5 Amp or less. Engine losses power and than the engine error symbol pops up and the 12V of the pump is cut off. The 12V measured near the pump under the backseat does NOT drop until cutoff!

The pump connector is socked with diesel and there is diesel on top of the fuel tank round the pump. The fuel lines (pipes) don't look wet.
Is this common? Absolutely not normal i think.
Do you think it will be wise to just replace the pump? (unit)
How do I remove the pump unit, will it just come lose if I turn it round, unscrew it?
Anyone know a good and cheap address in the Netherlands?

Manny thanks for all the help that is given on this forum, not only in this case. (y)
OldMan.

Certainly agree there shouldn't be fuel swilling around on top of the tank but keep in mind it's a constant return system I believe :chin:

I cannot believe an error code is not generated :confused:

Did you ever resolve your OBD reading issues? Reading fault codes off non OBDII compliant JTD's is easy with the correct software.

Hello Everybody,

Here is some interesting information about the solution to my problems.
I think this can be of help to others having the same problem.
Problem description:
- Engine stops running on irregular intervals.
- After stopping on the side of the road and trying to start, the start engine runs but the engine does NOT start up.
- After waiting a couple of minutes you can start the engine again.
The Fiat dealers (in Spain and in the Netherlands) did NOT know the solution to this problem because there where no fault codes in the computer.
I gave them the following information:
- after the engine has stopped, if I disconnect the fuel pipes at the filter and turn on the contact there is no fuel coming out of the pipes.
- after a while there is fuel coming out and the engine can be started again.
- I here a gurgling sound from the backseat before the engine starts working again.
( be very careful with fuel on a hot engine. keep it away with a cloth.)
They came with very costly suggestions with no guaranties. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I am a electronics engineer I started to do some measurements, driving around with 3 volt and 2 ampere meters measuring different circuits.
After a while I hit the jackpot: (y)
Normally the pump in the fuel tank uses 4 Amp by 12V.
Just before the problem arises the current drops back slowly.
When it comes near to 2,5 Amp the engine hickups and stops.
Then the 12V is cutoff by the ECU.
At this point I was sure the problem was in the fuel pump.
I replaced the pump with another one from a secondhand car part shop. ;)
This solved the problem, I have driven 3000 Km with it and no more problems.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Now I started to investigate the old pump, because it seems to me, it was electrically okay.
The pump is hanging in a kind of bucket, and I put the whole (pump with the small bucket) in a big bucket filled with soap water to test.
As I put it in the water slowly, it surprised me that the water came in very slowly, and that there where some very little spiders in the water.
To keep it short, the little hole in the bottom with a valve to keep the fuel in at sharp turns, was not completely open. I cleaned it and this was the problem.
Fuel did come in better then before. Then it hit me :idea: that I the problem always happened when the tank was more than half empty.
This is because, if there is more fuel in the tank it runs over the top of the bucket that holds the pump. Now I was sure that this really was the solution to the problem.
Hope to help some of you as some of you helped me. :D
And I will never go to a Fiat dealer again because the do not know how to do there job. From the info I gave them the must know it is NOT a engine problem. :devil: :slayer:

OldMan.

Oh, the little spiders can't live in the tank but they can in the hose at the fuel station. So get our fuel in the evening and not in the morning as I did.

Reactions: woz
Re: Stilo 1.9 JTD OBD reading

Did you ever resolve your OBD reading issues? Reading fault codes off non OBDII compliant JTD's is easy with the correct software.

Yes, but not with the interface i had. :mad:
I did get myself a very cheap KLL cable and used the free software from Sander called UniDiag. Works like a charm. I modified the cable and could also reset the airbag alarm that I had after driving about two months without the backseats in the car. :D
For more info see: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/UniDiag/

OldMan.

Hello Argo,

No, I think this was the result of the fiat dealer repairing the floater (is this good English?) last year. I think I had the same problem then. :eek:
The dutch AA (ANWB) say's the fuel was empty while it did not show on the meter, but I now think this was NOT the problem. :cry:
The dealer looked into it and replace the part in the Fuel tank that floods om the fuel. Floater?
They must have had the whole thing out because it is one unit. (n)

OldMan.

Yes,

And a High Reel pressure sensor as a solution for the fuel pump problem. :devil:
Will be about 300,- euro sir.
No thanks I'll solve it myself. :slayer:

OldMen.

Changed your crankshaft or cam shaft sensor yet? That would be the first thing to try as it is exactly the kind of fault they produce.

Hi John,

Read message 3, the problem is solved at almost no cost. :D
These sensors give error codes.
I think my solution in message 3 can help more people. (y)

Back