Technical Steering woes

Currently reading:
Technical Steering woes

My knocking on the front drivers side seems to be getting worse (n)

Its something steering related as it only does it when turning, the noise like a grinding/knocking/clicking during movement of the steering wheel. It doesnt do it when stationary, but its not speed related so not the wheel rubbing or anything.

Any ideas? Trackrod ends/balljoints? Dont think its the CV joints as they seem ok.

If it is balljoints, do i have to get complete new arms, as shop4parts seem to only do the balljoints with the arm and not seperate :confused:

Randomman

GTI Till I die
How can you tell if a CV joint looks ok? Sounds too similar to one going to rule it out IMO.

Worth doing as they cause no end of problems if left undone.

custard

take it too a big empty car park.windows down and turn it hard lock in a cirlce and listen for clicking/knocking.you should be able to get cv joints seperatly.
balljoints come as part of the lower suspension arms

OP
OP
L
Its not CV as its not when the car is actually moving (or its not doing it from the car moving) Once its on full lock its ok, no real problem, its only noisy when turning the steering wheel to get there which leads me to believe its steering related.
+ i can sort of replicate the knock if i grab the wheels at 3 & 9'o clock and push/pull

Cars done 60k and believe it to be on original parts still if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

custard

your 1st post says it doesnt do it when stationary,sheesh make up your mind.
;)
perhaps your rack is worn.

OP
OP
L
custard boy said:
your 1st post says it doesnt do it when stationary,sheesh make up your mind.
;)
perhaps your rack is worn.

i meant if i turn the wheels lock to lock when still it doesnt make the noise, though does when moving along slowly or otherwise (and only does when the steering wheel is in motion) :eek:

custard

could be the rack or column maybe.mines developed some movement when an inner bush in the column slipped out.only found it when i was replacing the rack.

OP
OP
L
Found the problem :) Steering rack got play in it, and the track rod ends slightly worn too. Rubbing was from the tyres fouling the ARB, so spacers needed now.

custard

racks not to bad to do.need to get right underneath to access the 2 main rack mount bolts

OP
OP
L
custard boy said:
racks not to bad to do.need to get right underneath to access the 2 main rack mount bolts

yea seems quite easy to get to with both wheels off and front jacked up (y) Can pick a recon one up for about £27 + vat plus £50 surcharge until mine is sent back.