Technical Steering wheel vibrates at idle

Currently reading:
Technical Steering wheel vibrates at idle

fbarcode

Marea weekend 1.9jtd 2001. Steering wheel vibrates on idle. When revved to 1000-1200 and more, vibration stops. So garage checked it, replaced "central engine mount" and vibration stopped completely. Then, days passed and vibration was coming again, and after 3 months it is back to as it was, vibrating a lot.

Also, both clutch and brake pedal are vibrating and that is really annoying. I've noticed that if I grab the wheel with my hands and hold it, pedals stop vibrating.
It is highly unlikely that engine mount broke after only 3 months, and it seems like only steering column is vibrating and then it channels it to the pedals. The car itself isn't vibrating at all.

If anyone experienced anything similar, please help. Thank you

maybe they should have replaced all the engine mounts.
if you just replace one than it will be OK, but not for as long as it should, the excess movement in the others will kill your new mount VERY quickly.

thats the only thing I can think of

Yes, I suppose it is possible, but on the other hand, shouldn't I feel vibrations on the gear stick? Or at least something when I accelerate harder. Nothing, everything is fine when revs are over 1200.
And it does not deteriorate further it is as same as it was before.
I also noticed that sometimes (on very rare occasions) it stops vibrating.

the steering wheel isnt connected to the engine at any point, only the pump hoses connect to the steering, and they would only get pulled enough to cause this if the engine had serious play. so if the steering wheel seems to have most of the vibration are you sure the power steering pump is actually working ok? i think it could have a missing vane or two causing an inconsistent pressure to be produced.

its something worth checking. try removing the auxilliary drive belt (so power steering pump no longer driven) then start the car. if the vibraiton has now gone you know its almost certainly the power steering pump

as you say an engine or gearbox mount problem is usually noticed by gearstick judder and movement when revving. if your gearstick is fine then i wouldnt think it could be an engine or gearbox mount.

Last edited:
Thanks jug, that is an interesting point, and now, as you mention it, power steering is a bit noisey when standing still, and I notice that judder is increasing when turning steering wheel while standing. Maybe just because revs drop a bit for a moment when I turn the wheel.

There is no simpler (non mechanical) way to disengage power steering?

a simpler way than turning the tensioner and slipping the belt off? cant think of any easier way. all you need is a spanner on the tensioner nut to rotate it (reqires a bit of force) and the belt will be slack enough to remove. assuming the set up is similar to my 1.8 petrol.

true, i dont suggest you drive it with the belt off, just take it off for the test so we can see if the power steering pump is causing the vibration. if you drive it you will run the battery flat.

Back