Technical Steering wheel icon active eco 2010

Currently reading:
Technical Steering wheel icon active eco 2010

mad saint uden

Hello,

I was driving around a car park today looking for a spot to park when my steering froze and the read light came on the dash. I turned the engine off and back on again and all was fine. Also got home with no further issue. If memory serves, the same thing happened once before (also in a car park) about 4-5 years ago and the same solution worked.

I'm assuming something is degrading with age and that it is to do with the steering. But not a clue what. Suggestions as to possible causes and possible routes/costs to solve, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

lots of different causes most common is the battery (especially if its more than 5 years old) . Link above pretty much covers most.

Unfortunately there's no simple test for the battery, testing by substitution of a known Good one.

but until it fails more often you will not know if it been fixed.

Hello,

I was driving around a car park today looking for a spot to park when my steering froze and the read light came on the dash. I turned the engine off and back on again and all was fine. Also got home with no further issue. If memory serves, the same thing happened once before (also in a car park) about 4-5 years ago and the same solution worked.

I'm assuming something is degrading with age and that it is to do with the steering. But not a clue what. Suggestions as to possible causes and possible routes/costs to solve, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Battery a bit low on charge, they take a battering this time of year with lights, wipers, heater on etc. The power sterring takes a heavy load from the battery. Rectifying itself after turning off then on again is a good sign.it manifests itself in the steering warning red sign.If your battery's old try a modern battery charger/reconditioned on it on the 'repair cycle' mode of replace battery if it dose not come up to scratch after a test. Take the centre earth battery off the negative pole and give it a good clean with wire wool and replace it back on the battery.

Get a new good quality battery. Yuasa Silver are as good as it gets.

Tanya £60 delivered next day.
www.tayna.co.uk

YBX5012 Yuasa Silver High Performance Car Battery 12V 54Ah HSB012

Yuasa YBX5 car batteries are high performance lead acid batteries. They have strong cranking power and will last for approximately 50,000 starts. They are OE quality, performance and specification.
www.tayna.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halfords charge £103 for the same thing.

Yuasa HSB012 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee | Halfords UK

Shop the latest Yuasa 5 Year Guarantee HSB012 Silver 12V Car Battery at Halfords UK
www.halfords.com

I get slammed for saying this, but the other part of the equation is the alternator. My wife's 1.2 Dynamic had the same steering issues which were temporarily "fixed" with a new battery. It turned out that the alternator was weak at low engine speed so the battery was not keeping pace in cold weather and town driving. I replaced the alternator and the problem was solved.

At the other end of the scale, my 100HP has also needed a new alternator. The casing had cracked due to the iron core rusting. Amazingly it was working fine when removed but had seized solid within a couple of weeks of removing from the car. I had caught it just in time.

If it turns out to be necessary, a new alternator costs about £80 plus labour to fit. Get the battery tested and go from there.

Back