General steering column plastic trim

Currently reading:
General steering column plastic trim

ok just tried to remove my speedo in my sei to see if i can do a LED conversion. ive found the bolt at the back by the windscreen and theres 2 on the underneath by the steering column. now i need to take off the trim around the steering column to get to these 2. if anyones looked its in 2 sections a top and bottom. ive managed to get the bottom off where the ignition barrel is but i cant get the top section off!

it seems to need to slide backwards because its tucked under the steering wheel but it then hits the speedo! and it wont lift upwards and backwards because seems to be caught somewhere! :bang:

anyone got any ideas? i cant get the allen keys in with this trim still there!

Hi,

there are two screws holding the top part or the trim attached to the stalk block just behind the steering wheel.
I can't remember if you have to take the steering wheel off or not though!

i cant remove my steering wheel because its an air bag, theres 2 removable sections which you can take out of the sides of the steering wheel so ill remove them and spin the wheel see if i can see anything.

if i find these screws should the top section just lift out?

btw this car is MPI not SPI

firstly, disconnect the battery!

At the rear of the steering wheel there are two removable covers , Just pop them out and remove the four allen head screws that hold the airbag into the wheel then very carefully disconnect the airbag wire( a fiddley little clip on the later models).

Undo the steering wheel nut, but leave it on a couple of turns. Before pulling the wheel, mark where it belongs, preferably with a punch mark so you can put it back in the right position. Pull the wheel towards you, try not to jerk it. When it releases from the spline you'll be glad you left the nut on. Saves a face full of wheel.

Cheers

D

Back