Styling Stealthing Parcel Shelf

Currently reading:
Styling Stealthing Parcel Shelf

Wrighty

Morning people. I have currently got my 6" x 9"'s in my parcel shelf which is covered over by an england flag to prevent them being stolen. I am purhcasing a new parcel shelf from the scrappy at the weekend as mine is cracked in the middle. However, once i have fitted the 6" x 9"'s into the new parcel shelf I want to stealth it (the england flag kind of gives the wrong impression out about my car. I have seen the material or carpet as you could say to cover the parcel shelf. This was in Halfords and it was about £20, I was wondering if anyone could let me know where else to get it for cheaper and if there is a perfect colour match for the material that is already on my parcel shelf? If it helps I have a Mark 1 Punto, and I believe that all of the parcel shelves from the Mark 1's are the same colour :confused: .
Thanks in advance...

ah good move gettin them covered i was looking on ebay one day and there was a custom made stelth shelf nr me so next day grabbed it off him with the 6x9!

26082005014.jpg

20082005004.jpg

which looks great! try and make one yeah not not used fabric to cover them up :) something so they not on display :D

Wrighty said:
Morning people. I have currently got my 6" x 9"'s in my parcel shelf which is covered over by an england flag to prevent them being stolen. I am purhcasing a new parcel shelf from the scrappy at the weekend as mine is cracked in the middle. However, once i have fitted the 6" x 9"'s into the new parcel shelf I want to stealth it (the england flag kind of gives the wrong impression out about my car. I have seen the material or carpet as you could say to cover the parcel shelf. This was in Halfords and it was about £20, I was wondering if anyone could let me know where else to get it for cheaper and if there is a perfect colour match for the material that is already on my parcel shelf? If it helps I have a Mark 1 Punto, and I believe that all of the parcel shelves from the Mark 1's are the same colour :confused: .
Thanks in advance...

May help http://www.autoacoustics.com/ (y)

Steve

my favourite word 'haberdashery'. thats the place you get fabric from, a good haberdashery will have fabric of every type and colour. when im doing custom installs for people who are choosy about a good colour match i usually take a sample down my local haberdashery and find a fabric thats as close a colour match as possible, and as a general rule, the more translucent the fabric the better sound can pass through it. hold the fabric up to a window or light, if you cant see anything the fabric will cut out some of the treble. more light passing through = more sound passing through. also see how stretchy the fabric is. i've seen a nice neat job go horribly wrong in a matter of weeks if you use stretchy fabric, it will sag over the speaker holes and thats a give away you have 6x9s which defeats the whole point of a stealth shelf.

just make one, all you need is a bit of mdf, you dont need to make your parcel shelf out of mdf like alot of the ready made ones are as they make the shelf weigh LOADS!!!!! all i did was get a piece of mdf, cut it so it would fit under the parcel shelf then mounted the speakers to it, then put 4 small holes thru the parcel shelf and into the mdf, bolt thru the shelf in all 4 corners of the wood and nut on the bottom of the shelf and hey presto no1 can see your speakers ( no longer looking like a tw*ting chav) with them on top, if you see the pic below its jus a rough idea of what it looks like in the boots(y) why pay £60-70 for one when it takes couple of hours and the cost of 3 foot of mdf and couple of fixings;) and before anyone says anything yes the right hand side is dropped a little bit as i hadnt put that bolt in when i took the pic and the wiring is now tidied as this pic was taken just after installing it:yum:
DSCF0599.jpg

That sounds like a very good idea. However, I do have one query...you said that you attached the MDF to the bottom of the parcel shelf by four bolts in each corner? I am curious as to how these are not viewable? :confused:

you can actually see the flat head screws but it doesnt bother me that much tbh as most people wouldnt think anything of it and i prefer them to be on show than bloody speakers cause thats just so tacky, i was going to paint the heads of the bolts so it blends in but havent had time as of yet(y) you could also get countersinks and then jus glue abit of carpet/fabric(same as parcelshelf material) on top of the bolts or recover the shelf again if you were really that bothered:rolleyes:

Ok thanks. My original idea was the buy some fabric off ebay, ( i searched punto shelf carpet and a number of items came up) and i was going to just lay that over my parcel shelf. This would then leave a flat surface on top of the parcel shelf, thus maybe allowing the carpet to 'droop' in the middle and gradually become more and more loose due to the vibrations of both 6" x 9"'s and the sub?! How much does a 'pre-made' stealth shelf cost? Without speakers in because i will just attach mine?

I dont see the point in spending £70 odd on a pre made one when they are so easy to do.

It cost me about £25 to make my stealth shelf for my old car, £10 for the sheet of 50mm MDF, £10 for the acustic carpet and £5 for all of the extra fixing I need to get it to fit like the original one.

It took a couple of hour to complete and the sound quality had doubled compared to the original sound quality when they were in the standard shelf

Just go to your local DIY/fabrics store and buy some cheap felt in black/grey whatever colour is similar to your parcel shelf for about £3, pull it tight over your parcel shelf with your 6x9s fold around the egdes and use a spray glue or staples to keep the felt in place, job done.(y)

Hi does anyone know the size of mdf i will need to attach to my parcel shelf to make the stealth shelf for my mk2 fiat punto.

any help will be appreciated

Jordan

i did my 6x9's ages ago before i could drive (scrappies a tenner! couldn't resist!) and didn't bother with the mdf as i didn't think i needed it. I rested the side of the speakers on the iron bar which goes across the underneath of the back shelf (mk2) they've been in about a year and are fine :)

I like having them on show but i have limo tints so u can't really see them anyway

Hi does anyone know the size of mdf i will need to attach to my parcel shelf to make the stealth shelf for my mk2 fiat punto.

any help will be appreciated

Jordan
Rather than attatching MDF to your parcel shelf, MAKE an mdf parcel shelf.

Get a peice of mdf slightly bigger than ur parcel shelf, draw round your existing one as a template, cut it out and voila an MDF parcel shelf.

If you want it stealthy, mount your 6x9's in a recess and cover the top in acoustic carpet, this will still allow the sound to pass through it but will look standard from outside (y)

Back