Technical Starting Problems - 1.2 8v MK2

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Problems - 1.2 8v MK2

Pablo Gemini

I’ve been having starting problems with my 1.2 8v punto Mk2 for a few months now but the problem is so intermittent it’s difficult to pin down. It works fine for several weeks then refuses to start, normally from cold, once it starts its fine for the day but if left for several hours and cools, it then sometimes doesn’t start. :bang:
I tested the battery on and off load and its good. When it fails to start the starter motor spins ok but the engine doesn’t sound like it will remotely fire. This happened a couple of weeks ago again, I left it for 7 days, went back to it and it started first time! I used it for a couple of days and it failed to start this morning.
I had an independent garage come out a while ago when it didn’t start and no fault codes were apparent. It was getting a good spark and fuel to the injector rail. They also tested the battery and said it was fine. They recovered it back to the garage where it started first time......argh!!! They decided to keep it for two weeks but the fault never reappeared!
The only way to get it started is either leave it for a few days until it decides to start or bump start it. I have occasionally taken the battery off and given it a decent overnight charge and hey presto it may start but not always. The garage seemed to think it may have been an ecu fault that was resetting itself once power was reapplied but I’m not convinced!
Anyway, I’ve replaced the ecu and coils and it still hasn’t cured it and I’m not keen to change things on spec ...gets expensive!! Crank sensor has been mentioned but I think this is likely to fail when engine is hot but I could be mistaken.
Anyone any ideas what to try next? :cry:

Thanks. I'll give it a try and see if it helps. One thing though I don't get any instrument warnings on the dash which I thought would occur if this was the problem....but i'll give it a go ...

Back