Technical Starting problem.

Currently reading:
Technical Starting problem.

unclejim

Hi guys, I am hoping someone can help me here. I have a Fiorino 1.7TD car derived van. I have read the other threads regarding this problem but there seems to be many answers, which to try & sort first ?
It all started about 2 weeks ago with blue/grey exhaust smoke belching out (from cold) when I turn it over but would eventually start. About a week later, I went round a roundabout & I noticed the fuel gauge dropped to empty & the amber light was flashing, the engine coughed & spluttered as if starved of fuel but picked up again. I should point out that the tank was just off the 1/4 mark on the empty side which was sorted by putting in more fuel.
However, the starting problem has persisted with the smoke but would eventually eventually start until the other day when I flattened the battery. It has only started once since I recharged it. As I wrote above, I have read the other threads, have I drawn air into the fuel system or are the glowplugs shot ?
I have absolutely no expeirience of diesel engines & any advice/idiots guide to sorting this would be greatly appreciated, as I am :bang: over this !
Many thanks.
Uncle Jim.
PS I think I read somewhere of someone asking where to get a manual for this car? Did anyone ever find one as I am having no luck ?

I had a problem with air trapped in the fuel line. If you were to look in the tank with the fuel gauge reading 1/4 you would be surprised how little fuel in actually in the tank. I discovered there was air trapped in the fuel line by removing the fuel line to the diesel pump. It was dry and not a drop from the fuel pipe. My remedy was to buy a hand help pump. i removed the fuel gauge/ assembly from the tank. Feed a pipe into the fuel tank connected it too the outgoing fuel line and manually pump the fuel through the pipe lines untill I got a drip from the fuel line just before the fuel pump. It took quite some time but it fired up eventually. I now never run on less than half a tank of diesel.

Hi Tony, thanks for that. I have since managed to get it started after a lot of cranking which produced a huge blue/grey exhaust cloud (not very eco friendly) ! I drove it around for a bit then parked up for about 45 minutes & it started up first time while the engine was still warm. I would think there is obviously fuel getting through if it eventually starts, though I will keep your suggestion in mind & keep the tank over 1/2 full !!
Thanks again.

Was asking around at work today & someone said to check the filter on the fuel pump, only problem I have with that is I`m not sure where it is without a manual, is it the thing under the spare wheel ? As I wrote before, I have no experience with diesels !
Thanks.
UJ.

Well, I finally got it sorted ! Apparently it was a combo of water in the fuel filter which was drained off & duff glowplugs. I changed them (not a job I want to do again in a hurry, almost on par with changing the plugs in an air cooled beetle !) & it started 1st time with no probs, a bit of the old blue/grey smoke but none since then. Also filled the tank & bunged in some diesel treatment stuff, runnin sweet as a nut now.
Many thanks to those who posted replies.
UncleJim.

Back