Technical Starting problem from cold

Currently reading:
Technical Starting problem from cold

Richard Carter

I have a strange problem with my 54-reg barchetta when starting from cold.

The engine revs by itself from about 1800RPM dropping almost to the stall, and continues for a couple of minutes or until I'm half a mile away. Neither the main dealer nor an independent garage can diagnose a problem, but it has been recently serviced and just had the throttle body replaced.

I'm hoping very much that an expert from this forum might be able to shed some light? Has anyone even had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

If your car revs by itself when you are half a mile away, maybe Stephen King has brought out the sequel to Christine at last.

Its usually a dirty throttle body or the variator solenoid can make it idle roughtly

Hi,
I too bought my Brachetta in 2004. Yes mine too had the revving when cold. It was diagnosed as the camshaft variator causing the problem. Having it fixed under warranty next week. I have 36,000 miles so was just inside the warranty when diagnosed- as per you it only started after a service!. Hope this helps.

Thanks, both, for the replies. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Where would I find the idle control valve (I'm an accountant, not a mechanic!)

Barchaboy, I'd be really interested to hear if swapping the camshaft variator fixes the problem. Is that covered under the third year dealer warranty or are you still on the manufacturer warranty? It sounds expensive...

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:
I tried to find the part on eper but cant :confused: so here is a pic of it
idle control valve.JPG

HI,
The variator has now been replaced with all sundry parts under the delear 3rd year warranty. It would have cost £567!!! Will check on the next cold morning to see if the engine is revving by itself. It certainly sounded quiter and ran more smoothly though. Regards

Now have checked after a cold morning start and no problems at all. Very smooth and as quiet as when purchased. Good luck.

Hang on guys... my 2004 B has always done the following:

Start from cold. Engine revs at a normal rate initially (foot off the throttle) then revs higher, then almost stalls, then picks back up again. Sounds like it's gasping for air! Does this for a couple of minutes.

I always assumed it was normal - some kind of anti-stall trick - but then I'm an IT bloke not a mechanic :yum:

Is this the same fault? 'cos if it is then I need to book her in quick as the warranty's up in the summer.

Exactly the same. I used to ask my wife why she was revving the engine up from cold...she simply said the car was doing it by itself. Since having the Variator and cambelt changed, the problem has gone. Does your engine sound rattley too? That is apparently the variator on its way out. Like I have said, an independent Fiat dealer quoted me £370 to do the work and Fiat would charge £567. So yes get it done under the warranty. Hope this helps.

It's rattly for the first few seconds after startup - I just assumed that was until the oil worked its way around the gubbins... I'm not a mechanic can you tell ? :p

I'll take it up with my dealer then they're usually pretty good.

That's normal if it's been sitting for a while as the oil eventually drains from the hydraulic tappits, usually withing a min or so that should disapear.

Thought so.

Usually lasts for no more than 4 or 5 seconds after startup.

No funny rattles otherwise

Back