Technical Starting issues mk2 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Technical Starting issues mk2 1.2 8v

mrcunningstunt

This is my first thread on here, so bear with me... So last night when i finished work i got in the car and started it, but it cranked over a lot longer than usual before firing, didnt really think a lot of it as it was cold. This morning i went to start the car and it wouldnt even try to turn over, the clock on the dash had reset itself, so my first thoughts were battery, so i dug out the trusty multimeter and it read 12.6v, so holding full charge, now i have been told about an earth on the gearbox being prone to going faulty, is there anyone who could go into detail on this issue and the fix? Preferably with pictures, or any other ideas?
Thanks in advance :)

*to rule out earth strap fault,get a jump lead..one end to good earthing point
on gear box and other to Negative on battery., worth a try.

clock normaly resets if theres a big loss of vaults,

Battery couid still be goosed..did you test it with engine running with multimeter.?

(this cold weather,kills battery's and if its a good few years old its end might be nigh,
luckily there only cheap for punto's if so,
.................................................................................................
Frail batterys cause issues with EPS..and airbags on punto so its a wise move replacing it..if the battery is old.

Couldnt test battery with engine running as it wouldnt start but a few weeks ago it registered 14 ish volts running, so definitely charging, not got any jump leads:p

You need to drop-test the battery. It might well be able to supply 12.6 volts at the terminals under no load, but I've seen batteries develop faults where they give nothing once heavily loaded (such as turning a starter motor). Most motor factors have the tool to test this for you (although you'll need to get the car or battery there in the first place).

Turned out it needed a new battery, although i cant work out why the indicator on the battery was still green, but once i fitted a new battery it started first time, thanks for your help though guys :) bought some service bits also so i can treat the old girl to new oil, filters and plugs (did pads and discs just before christmas) on my day off on thursday

Turned out it needed a new battery, although i cant work out why the indicator on the battery was still green, but once i fitted a new battery it started first time, thanks for your help though guys :) bought some service bits also so i can treat the old girl to new oil, filters and plugs (did pads and discs just before christmas) on my day off on thursday

Those battery vision holes aren't its charged its not

They are a basically a little float that works on the specific gravity of the battery acid
in a flat state - it sinks = black
charged state = it floats

However if the cells inside have degraded over time - it leaves a sediment at the bottom
So that little bit at the top is dense - it floats, but infact there isn't enough of a chemical reaction going on to allow it to start

Ziggy

Back