Technical Starter Motor?

Currently reading:
Technical Starter Motor?

LanciaMad

Established member
My brother is buying a sei with what I suspect to be a dodgy starter motor.

When the key is turned sometimes the cars starts but most times it sounds like the starter motor is just spinning and the engine doesnt turn at all.

So anyone shed anymore light on this or is it defo the starter motor, if so I am assuming all 1108/1242 8v fire engine starter motors are the same for replacement?

Last edited:
As a temporary measure you could remove it and absolutely drown inside the nose with WD40, this has kept my mates sierra starter alive for the last 3 years or so. His did exactly the same thing so we removed it, soaked it, problem solved for another 6months until the nose filled up with clutch dust again. :D

Thanks fellas, so all 1108/1242 8v starters the same if I stick to mk1 puntos etc?

cheeqic_nto said:
As a temporary measure you could remove it and absolutely drown inside the nose with WD40, this has kept my mates sierra starter alive for the last 3 years or so. His did exactly the same thing so we removed it, soaked it, problem solved for another 6months until the nose filled up with clutch dust again. :D

Don't forget hitting it with a hammer, well proven cure for a sticky starter

could also be poor connections

So anyone shed anymore light on this or is it defo the starter motor, if so I am assuming all 1108/1242 8v fire engine starter motors are the same for replacement?

It's the starter motor, but assume nothing! There are slight differences in non sporting and sporting 1100 Sei starters (although they can be made to fit). Take the old starter with you for comparison -- you want one that just bolts on.

I got one off a sei sporting spi (same car) so should be ok, fitting tomorrow.

Back