Technical Starter motor

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor

Hi all. my cinq has been playing me up. first thing first.

My control unit was broken under the dash witch i think does the central locking. when i took it off it broke in half. so rang fiat and i ordered one in. i went to start my car nothing dead. all lights come on and when i go to start the car nothing. but when i put the new control unit in still nothing. so i pushed it down the road to jump it. fine started. let it running for about 30 mins.
turned it off again. still nothing. so i thought ill leave it for a bit. when i went to start it it start first time. its been fine. then today went out this morning. nothing again.

i don't think it the start motor?
there is a relay under the dash that click (once) when i try and turn her over is this normal or relay gone?

Thanks guys :)

this control unit u replaced, was it the code box under the steering coloum that has a couple of connector type plugs going into it.

looks like in this pic (but without the other box stuck to it!)

If so, that is part of the imobiliser.

When your car fails to start, does the CODE light remain on on the dashboard? If so, its likely you have an imboilser fault.

Actually.. i've just thought, the imobilser cuts off the fuel pump - so if it can be bump started then its not that.

When it fails to start, try clouting the starter with summit and then trying again after that.

Attachments

• control_box.jpg
    control_box.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 256
no is not that. i have just been outside in the cold and it not coming from the starter motor. its coming from the passager side under the dash. but all thats under there is the control unit i have replaced and a relay witch i think the click noise is coming from and two fuses?

any ideas?? please.

ok, that'd be the fuel pump relay i think. i can't find cpt. haynes at the mo. when u turn the ignition on, it should click once and you should here a hum as the fuel pump primes the system. do you get that noise?

or do you mean you get noise from these badgers in the engine bay, passenger side?

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6
  • fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I've had the same clicking I think but it never hampered starting it did it when I started the car up and it continued for 5 mins and then for 5 when I switched it off, I never started it for a couple of months and after a weeks daily running it stopped altogether.

Liam

no mate my fuel pump comes on. the spray lihts goes out and if u are in tghe engine bay u can hear the petrol go in. then when u turn it on the last turn. there is a click and then nothing.

Does any one else have this control unit and a relay and two fuses under there passager side dash

Back