Technical Starter motor noise

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor noise

DOWNESY0

I have a 1.6sx Liberty tipo, a few weeks ago it started to make a noise when I came to start the car just after the car had fired. I thought this was the starter motor gear not returning quick enough and catching on the flywheel gear. So I took the starter motor off and checked it out with a spare battery I had in the garage, it seemed to work OK. Replaced it back on the car and the noise was still there for a fraction of a second after the car had fired up. I have eventually now put a new starter motor on and its even worse noise when starting. I have checked the teeth on the flywheel through what liitle space you can see through and they look ok. The car does fire up ok but the noise is driving me crazy now. Has anyone got any ideas.

Paul:bang:

I have a 1.6sx Liberty tipo, a few weeks ago it started to make a noise when I came to start the car just after the car had fired. I thought this was the starter motor gear not returning quick enough and catching on the flywheel gear. So I took the starter motor off and checked it out with a spare battery I had in the garage, it seemed to work OK. Replaced it back on the car and the noise was still there for a fraction of a second after the car had fired up. I have eventually now put a new starter motor on and its even worse noise when starting. I have checked the teeth on the flywheel through what liitle space you can see through and they look ok. The car does fire up ok but the noise is driving me crazy now. Has anyone got any ideas.

Paul:bang:

Did you grease the gearwheel of the startermotor? -If no, the sound (after-rattling) is caused by metallic dust left behind. Hope this helps you.

what exactly is the noise, is it a very grinding sort of noise, almost like the grinding of gears etc. have you checked the wiring?

just to check does the current being applied to the relay cause the starter motor to move forwards and rotate or is the moving forwards on a seperate circuit? just check the electrical connections are clean first of all just incase.

Back