Technical Starter Battery

Currently reading:
Technical Starter Battery

ninian324

Hi, Does anyone know by replacing the starter battery does it have any effect on the vans electronics, ecu etc. I just want to check before having it replaced, is a OBD gadget required. Thanks.

Some mechanics have a small 12 volt battery they put in its place whilst they change the starter battery. But I don't bother - I just have to reset my preset radio stations and dashboard clock.

The answer is yes. I used jump leads to keep a battery connected but you need to be very careful not to cause shorts or sparks doing this. If the ecu loses power the car might possibly need reprogramming. I had a 1.4s that thought it was a GTI once! Things like air con or no air con can get confused and the speedo was also vastly over reading.

Later model vehicles have the radio codes memorised in the ecu. Early ones up to maybe 2007/8 have the codes in the radio and need to be reinserted after battery replacement. There are power cells available that work through the cigarette lighter with key on accessories setting that can be used to retain power whilst batteries are replaced. Auto leccies mostly have more sophisticated ones that work through the obd port.

My van was off the road for 2 years with no battery while I chased down a new engine. Fitted a new battery with the new engine and everything was fine with the radio and all the other computerised rubbish.
For such a poorly designed piece of garbage, my electrics are all working fine and the van runs well and consistently returns 6-7 litres per 100 km.

Back