Panda 2012+ Start stop issues

Currently reading:
Panda 2012+ Start stop issues

AdelaidePanda

Hey everyone cheers for the add? We have a 2013 trekking which we had multiple issues around from brake lights, start stop, hill hold unavailable to ESC brake lights all randomly. I read the forum post but no go. I noticed the way the brake light would hesitate and thought it would be brake switch. I ordered one on eBay and fitted ( I noticed button was longer ) it fixed all of the above issues with brake lights, start stop, hill hold and ESC warning lights. It’s been a couple of weeks now and all good!

Hi There; yes brake light switch appears to be the key to many of the issues you describe - it is, I think, providing a signal to the on board systems both when open and closed. So your brake lights will be coming on but it may not be providing a signal when you are not braking!

Battery voltage can also mess with the stop start functionality so checking out the little voltage regulator that sits on the (-ve) battery post is worthwhile.

I am coming to terms with the fact that such issues are not unique to Fiat as I've now encountered similar "quirky" issues with VW Golf 4 and Mercedes (W211) cars.

Thanks for your input!!

...I am coming to terms with the fact that such issues are not unique to Fiat as I've now encountered similar "quirky" issues with VW Golf 4 and Mercedes (W211) cars.

Yup - this will be the same with any car after 2011 (Euro 5 engines introduced), and some 'early adopters' from before that date, as the various emissions controls etc are all working in much the same way (and mostly using sensors and control systems made by the same company). Given the age of the Golf, this predates these stricter standards though.

Last edited:
Yup - this will be the same with any car after 2011 (Euro 5 engines introduced), and some 'early adopters' from before that date, as the various emissions controls etc are all working in much the same way (and mostly using sensors and control systems made by the same company). Given the age of the Golf, this predates these stricter standards though.

Away from the Fiat gene pool I know - the Golf issues relate to what I have quickly learned is a common problem with the lock modules which each contain two micro switches, an electric motor and associated circuit board. The fact that they remain available on Ebay for £14 a pop tells its own story. The W211 was also an "interlock" issue with brake light and auto transmission issues...

The marques and ages aside, the fact remains that we need (and expect) all of these low cost, engineered down to the budget, components to work reliably and hopefully for the life of the car which is unrealistic...

Back