Technical Start and stop issues

Currently reading:
Technical Start and stop issues

MoDcHe

Hi guys,

can someone shed some light to my problems, as my mechanic is not able to identify the issue, and prior I go to official garage, I wanted to know if someone had this issue. Yes, i found few threads with similar issues but none was like mine.

So I bought 500 to my wife a year ago. Its 1.2 8v 2009 with bloody s&s.

After purchase I did all necessary services, changed timing belt, oil, sparks, brakes.... the only thing that I did not change is battery... anyway, my wife is not driving it daily so its mainly in garage. Start and stop system did not worked from the beginning. Mechanic said, its time to change a battery, i was like, no need for that yet. Car worked perfectly. Then at some point, friend of mine gave me some battery, not new, he cleaned some contacts and s&s started to work, and thats when real problems begun.

Even though s&s worked, car would unexpectedly shut down, on idle with pressed clutch but in first gear, with break depressed. Yellow triangle would light on and message that s&s is not available. This would happen completely random and also if s&s is turned off, doesnt matter.

I connected it to multiecuscan and it showed thst IBS has intermittent error. Cleared it but it was the same. Scheduled service and while I was waiting, I drove the car around and then it started to shuts off ins driving, like I was on highway, driving 120km/h, and it just shuts off in gear, and of course it turns on, with the same error message. Once that happen, in drive, its not happening anymore, until you shut it down and restart. Car is behaving fine after error is shown.

Then, I bought new battery, varta agm for fiat 500. I was told that it doesnt have to be programmed, and thats it. Spent a bit money on it but what a heck. Hoped that it will sort the issue out, but its not, it was all the same, car was shutting down completely random, in drive. S&s worked fine, all the time.

Went to service again, mehanic found some sensor beneath gear stick, once that was disconnected, car worked fine, with lots od error on dash. I drove like that for a day, and it started to shuts down again. Reconnected it back, he cleared ibs contacts and finally, car worked fine for few month, now problem reocurred again :(

Note that i disconnected ibs cable, but that did not helped.

Any thoughts on what this could be, before i go to fiat garage, which is not very skilled over here.

Thanks!
Sorry for potential typos and a bit long text :)

P.s. I havent bought new ibs because two of mechanics think that something else is the issue, probably that gear sensor?

Question to everyone, did any 2009 car have SS ? Just wondering?

IIRC it was available from launch across the range, except for the 1.3 mJet.

It was an optional extra (£300 in my 2009 price list) until the 2010 model year facelift, when it became standard on all models (in the UK at least). Generally all cars with the later type of rear beam with the stiffening bar should have S/S.

It wasn't often specified, so most cars with the older style rear beam won't have S/S.

Last edited:

It was an optional extra (£300 in my 2009 price list) until the 2010 model year facelift, when it became standard on all models (in the UK at least). Generally all cars with the later type of rear beam with the stiffening bar should have S/S.

It wasn't often specified, so most cars with the older style rear beam won't have S/S.
Thankyou for not saying anti-rollbar :p

D
we'll unless you're like mine a 2009 model but with the improvement rear beam

You said you had disconnected and reconnected this sensor on the gear selector, it worked for a few months after this was disconnected and plugged back in again, it’s a fairly clear indication of a bad connection or a bad sensor, this is where I would start.

Not everything that goes wrong has an error code and sometimes the car itself doesn’t know what’s wrong so you have to do a little digging

Back