General Stalling at 15mph

Currently reading:
General Stalling at 15mph

jimofcheeni

Hi

I have a 93 Uno 999cc ie Fire. When i first start it up from cold, everything is fine until I get to around 15mph at which point acceleration is reduced dramatically (feels like something is pulling the car back) and i have to put my foot down until i get over 20 or it stalls. then everything's fine after 2 minutes of driving.

this first started happeneing a few weeks back when i pulled of the drive and i changed into second around 15mph which had never been a problem before and it jut cut out completely.

I've been told it could be the break calipers, which i can't see it being as the pulling stops when i put the clutch down, or the spark plugs, which i'm gonna have a go at changing tonight.

Just wondered if anybody's had this before and knows what's up?

Hi Jim
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Clean the carb out and add some Redex directly into the throttle body.
Pete

Sounds like fule starvation (as already stated), does this engine have an automatic choke? I would suggest this may be the issue if it has, also clean carb/fule injector with Redex (other products are available ;) ). Also check carb gaskets have not perished, there may be a certain temperature where they have a fluid/gas leak thus resulting in loss of power.

HTH

Alex

I had this problem in my Uno. Felt like the car had a dead flat spot and refused to go. but with mine, once u floored it and it started going again it would be fine, and it would only happen on cold mornings heh (well, i only had the car through the winter so i suppose it was always cold mornings). The problem never bothered me too much and i got used to it :).

Check ur vacume hoses to check for splits or corosion etc. or maybe even the vacume advance unit. Also, try the sparks and leads. Definatly try the redex treatment too. if it doesnt fix it, atleast it will give ur engine a cleanout.

good luck!

Back