spraying plastic

Currently reading:
spraying plastic

hi,

metalic silver if you needed to know,

i want to spray the black plastic part which is above the number plate on the punto, it holds the number plate light btw, what stages do i go through to spray it, and what else could i spray at the same time? (just small things) :)

The plastic on these items are injection moulded like unsprayed bumpers etc... So you would need to sand them with a rough paper first, then progressively move onto a fine paper that would not damage the plastic making it very smooth and even but still 'keyed' meanign there is a little bit for teh paint left to grip to. Then you need to primer the plastic, (Btw its best off the car for this) and spray to match your car. You could do door handles etc while you are it it too. even the rub strips and bumpers if they rnt either already off or painted. Before the first coat of primer you will need to wipe teh plastic clean with some thinners or brake and clutch cleaner or even meythilated spirits.

I wouldn't use thinners or meths to clean the items as when you prime the surface it'll react.(n) A panel wipe or any isopropyl alcohol based cleaner best!(y) Ideally you want to sand the items down with 500 grit paper then spray an adhesion primer first (one coat should be enough) you can buy this in a can from halfords. Go over that with 4 coats of normal primer. Flat down with 600 grit wet & dry (do it wet) & again clean using the panel wipe. Dry the item off thoroughly before topcoating.(y)

Back