Styling spraying interior panels...

Currently reading:
Styling spraying interior panels...

neilio

hi, iv got a sei sporting, and im slowly in the process of spraying interior panels. need some help though! im trying to get rid of the horrible texture on the plastic and make it smoooth but im not having much luck. can anybody recommend suitable filler that i can apply and then smooth, or something along those lines??? cheers!

Try scrubbing with washing up liquid, hot water and steel wool or brillo pads.

The soapy water will rid the part of silicone from dash cleaners and the brillo pad will rough up the surface for adhesion with plastic primer.

After paint, it looks like this:-

Liam

Attachments

• Copy of Interior.JPG
    Copy of Interior.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 48
I had mine sprayed by a pro. Don't think he sanded or anything. You'll need plastic primer anyway which lays quite thick and by the time you've put 5 or 6 layers of paint and 3 or four of laquer your gonna be virually smooth anyway

plastic primer? is that any different from normal primer? im pretty sure i did buy some of that from halfrauds and used about 4 coats, along with ages of sanding but it still didnt get my panels smooth :( (talking about the lower door pockets) so im kinda lookin for some proper filler like stuff

It is different, Plastic primer is for spraying bodykits and it can fill imperfections and also flex and not break.

Filler will only make it a mess, eh, have you tried Plastikote or do you want it body coloured?

PM fixit and he'll advise as this pic below shows, he went a tad mental and painted everything!

Liam

Attachments

• petes interior copy.jpg
    petes interior copy.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 107
an electric sander should strip the panels bare

it will also give it a good key for filler primer, give a few coats of this, sand down each time, then a minimum of 4 layers of a top coat, again sand down each time, then maybe 3 coats of laquer - you guessed it sand down each time

Back