General Sportka SE vs Panda 100HP

Currently reading:
General Sportka SE vs Panda 100HP

Warning: veeeeeeeeeeery long post!

As I’ve posted elsewhere I currently drive a Ford Sportka SE; in 30 months it’s done 58,000 miles, and judging by the amount of warranty work needed and anecdotal evidence keeping it is going to bring some big bills.

A new car then, seems to make sense.

Now, the Sportka (SE) has been great, surprisingly versatile; 210 mile motorway trips bouncing along in the 90’s, zipping around town, swallowing me, Mrs S and the Boy along with a weeks holiday luggage - with some clever packaging -, rallycrossing across fields at country fairs… who needs anything else?

Well, more rear space would be nice, a quieter ride, a bigger boot, better fuel economy, more speeeeeeeeeed, five doors…

All the reviews I’ve read about the 100HP enthuse about how much fun it is to drive – certainly the Sportka’s great talent. However steering feel is marked down as too light and remote (another strength in the Ford; it’s heavier than most modern cars but adds to the chuckable feel, the instant flickability [sorry to go all Troy Queef]) and the ride is noted as crashy and pogo-y. But then the SE hardly has a Royce type ride so this would have to be comparative.

So, I popped myself down to a local dealer. They didn’t have a 100HP but had a boggo Panda, in bright orange.

First impressions then.

Where the Sportka SE is all curves and blistered arches lending it a more aggressive look compared to the shopping trolley Ka the 100HP is very blocky. all straight edges and truncated rear. Of course it’s an ‘honest’ shape, no frippery which lends it appeal but it didn’t excite me that much, I worried if I’d do that climbing out and doing the last look over the shoulder thing as I walk away.

Obviously looks are subjective, but in bare facts the Panda is shorter and narrower than the Sportka, has 4HP more and a little less torque.
9.5secs (100HP) vs 9.8 to 62mph, 115mph (100HP) vs 108 top speed (though the Speedo on the Sportka happily shows more than 110 – woooo, feel the power).
1.4 litre engine vs the Sport’s 1.6 - 42mpg (100HP) vs 37mpg (33-36 in my experience) . Six speed gearbox, climate control.

Not yet convinced by the looks then, but I try out the seat. Good lord, it’s high! The bumph says the 100HP’s seat is even higher than the standard model and this is bad enough! Even with the van like silhouette my eyes seem to be at the same height as the header rail. Next disappointment follows closing the door (solid enough clunk) – you sit a lot closer to the side of the car than in even my Sportka SE. A touch claustrophobic then – yet the glasshouse is deep, perversely meaning you feel quite exposed; even sitting in the showroom I felt perched on the Fiat, not sat in it.

The dash does feel and look substantial compared to the Sports ‘teardrop’ design. The wheel holds buttons for the stereo – welcome to the world of tomorrow! – a touch of sophistication over the Ka, though the wheel rim is the same section all round and not shaped like in Ka’s, it’s not as tactile.
The plastics don’t feel cheap, happily, and neither did the big square lump of a centre console look too 80’s, as I’d feared from the pictures.
I guess the Panda’s big ‘party piece’ is the dash mounted six-speed gearbox. I’ll resist using the phrase ‘van-like’ again, because while it felt unnatural initially I’m sure it will make very good sense in use, the stick just a hand drop away from the wheel. However the lower housing seemed to intrude a little into the footwell, again adding to the (very) small car feel.
The base model had a five-speed box and of course I wasn’t on the move so I can’t really comment on the HP’s six speeder, but the throw seemed a little long and not as flick-of-the-wrist snickety as the Sportka’s.

I was feeling a tad disappointed at this stage, looking around trying to find the same amount of oddment storage I’ve got in the Ka, wondering what all the hype was about. Into the back then, and here was good stuff, one of my requirements, the Fiat is shorter than the Ka but has a lot more space in the back - impressively so. But again, you sit very high and close to the roof lining.

Last stop, the boot. Now the Ka has just about managed on several week long holidays; Mrs S’s hard suitcase flat in the boot, my soft case on top, bits and bobs squeezed around and The Boy’s stuff on the rear seat next to him. Looking at the Fiats boot I didn’t know whether to giggle or sigh, despite on paper having a bigger litre capacity it’s tiny, 100mm+ smaller front to rear than the Ka. New suitcases then…

Second thoughts.

I took Mrs Skyhook to look at the boggo Panda a few days later. I must say, I was more impressed on this second viewing. It certainly has a solid feel to it, given the price, and with Climate and Bluetooth etc a nice level of kit. The footwell is narrow, but I've tried with two pair of shoes now and it's not been a problem. I won't be able to wear my big chunky boots though. The housing for the high gearstick does eat up space, there is less space to spread your legs (no jokes please) than in the Ka, but I don't think it will be an annoyance. However, the door is very close to my right elbow; again more so than in the Ka which is a worry, but I'm sure I could adapt, and wouldn't notice it after a while.

And I found the lever which lowers the seat height. Oddly it lowers the seat just under the bum but not the knees which feels slightly odd but on the lowest setting I felt much more comfortable and 'in' the car. The passenger seat is still set high though, there is less headroom that in the (lower) Ka. I'm starting to like it.

The big worry was the stupidly tiny boot, even given the masses (all things being relative) backseat space. However, we stumbled on the fact that the rear seats can be slid forward! I'm amazed that that wasn't mentioned in the sales bumph, it's a very handy feature, allowing you to choose boot space/rear seat space depending on your needs for a journey. Big tick from both of us then, Mrs Skyhook even found the pedals more suited to her than in the Sportka SE. Until, of course, we found the slidey seat isn’t an option on the 100HP!

Test Drive.

I found a second dealer offering the HP at 25% off list - £7,999. I put down a refundable £100 deposit to get dibbsies on the one Ambient White with Skydome roof Panda on the current shipment there and then.

The dealer was good enough to source and fetch a 100HP for me, considering I had all but signed on the dotted line anyway, but I did want a test to find if there was any horrendousness that would be impossible to live with.

In grey (“It’s silver” corrected the salesgirl) the 100HP adds a welcome element of chunkiness over the standard models. The front grille treatment, the subtle wheel arch extensions, the lowered suspension and attractive (smaller than the Ka) alloys gave it a subtle sportiness. I’ve overheard yoofs sneer as they walked past my factory standard Sportka “I’ve never seen one of those that hasn’t been modified”, so a subtle car will make a change, even though I love the sportka’s pre-chavved wide arches, fog/driving lights and 16” alloys. Well, I say subtle, the 100HP's blacked out rear windows are a bit drug-dealer… I wasn’t too sure, but now I’m glad I opted for white – the grey/silver looks good in magazine photos but a little too anonymous in the metal. Now, my initial doubts have gone, I love the looks

I couldn’t make my excuses and leave work too early, so after skiving off an hour before end of play I got to the dealer just as the Nottingham evening traffic rush was starting, which wasn’t ideal. The 100HP was so new it still had protective sheets applied to the roof and bonnet, the rear boot release, heater and stereo weren’t working as the fuses hadn’t been fitted yet (no jokes about Fiat reliability please, am I sure about the fuses here!) so that wasn’t ideal either.

Still the Salesgirl drove it out the carpark for me and we swapped seats. It wasn’t until the drive was over that I realised that my concerns over the housing of the high mounted gearstick and the closeness of the drivers door hadn’t been an issue, no body parts were banged on Fiat in the making of this test drive. The closeness of the pedals was no problem for my size eights either, though perhaps the Sportka’s cramped pedalbox had stood me in good stead here.

On the move then, and visibility is good, aided by the small window in the C-pillar and upright hatchback. The view out the front was less good; with no climate control working the window was full of condensation, requiring an old school ‘back of the hand’ wipe several times during the journey – I’m glad I wasn’t the Salesgirl who had had to drive it up the M1. The door mirrors seemed a little small too, after the Ka, but I’m sure I’ll adapt. Incidentally, the electric controls for these are mounted on the floor just in front of the handbrake, the electric window switches are mounted either side of the gearstick – cheaper to engineer, but for ergonomics I’d prefer them on the door.

We went in a loop round a part of the ring road, then down some back streets. I probably didn’t get above 50, but did get to go down streets and around roundabouts that I’m familiar with. Interestingly, while more refined that the Sportka there was also a noticeable bit of ambient noise - tyre roar? This seems quite common now, as sound deadening gets better the engine and other noises are well suppressed, but tyre noise remains. This is of course, a cheap, small car so this id to be expected, and I certainly don’t think it’s obtrusive. I’m expecting the six-speed gearbox will make it a quieter, nicer place to be on the motorway than the Ka too.
The gearbox seems to be held in extremely high regard. Being set so high, just a droop of the hand from the steering wheel, it felt a little odd, being used to the Sportka’s little turned aluminium ball being right by my knee, and the shift felt vaguely longer than in the Ka, but I’m sure familiarity will show it to be more than fine, and not a let-down. With trying to assess the car while talking to the Salesgirl, cleaning the windscreen and not hitting anything I didn’t graunch a gearchange or have to hunt around the gate once. But them I should bloody hope not!

I was expecting the steering to be light, but on that brief drive it felt fine. Lighter than the Sportka, definitely, but then the Ka is old school again in its weighting, not many mainstream modern cars feel as heavy, Mondeo included. It was consistent in feel though, none of this daft resistance about dead centre that drops away as the wheel turns. It didn’t feel overlight like a Meganes, but without a longer test I can’t give a detailed analysis. In any case, there is a sport button that lowers the assistance by 20% and increases throttle response by 30% below 3,000 rpm. Again, it’ll take a longer test to see how much difference this really makes.

“Terrible” and “bouncy” are two words that seem to crop up a lot in the ride section of reviews. This of course, is comparative – I’m coming from a Sportka. Time will tell, but on this short slowish drive, where the Ka stiffly crashes on pot-marked roads the 100HP seemed to float better, slightly bouncy yes, but perhaps preferable to the spine-jolts that the Ka delights in. This is, after all, a car with a short, narrow wheelbase, not a limo.
I’d say it lacked the eagerness of the Ka, but then this is a car with very quick pick-up from slow speeds, it encourages a heavy right foot on the right-hand pedal, and I was being a bit more subtle in the 100HP. However, it was telling that on the ring road roundabouts, where you have to go for the slightest gap in traffic, the 100HP inspired confidence, it’s nippy. And using one roundabout to do a U-turn put another worry to rest; body roll seems acceptable.

I couldn’t try the climate control, or Bluetooth (not that I would’ve) and I’m a bit sad there doesn’t seem to be an iPod connection (back to my FM transmitter and retuning every time a local radio station interferes then), but the seating position was good, and I could comfortably sit in the back with the front seat set for me. Perhaps equal on space to the Ka, but you sit higher, more upright, and there is space for your feet under the front seats, which is a great help. Now the boot… not as deep as the Ka’s, but higher and wider due to better packaging. It’ll do.

So, I’m currently a happy excited bunny – I’ll miss the Sportka SE massively, but I think the Panda is going to be a fine, fine, replacement.

You haven’t actually read all this have you?

Last edited:
You haven’t actually read all this have you?

Yes :eek: and it makes for an absolutely cracking read. Probably one of the most extensive and in-depth reviews I've ever read for the 100HP (y)

I test drove one a few months back and although I couldn't put it all into words quite like this, I felt a very similar experience of hype, inital disappointment followed up by a sense of something very special and appealing.

The verdict is still out on whether I will purchase a 100HP as a replacement for my current GP Sporting M-Jet but I can tell you that it has definately winning both on head and heart.

Good luck with your new baby, I hope it lives up to and maybe even surpasses your fond feelings for the SportKa.

Great choice on white with skydome roof, the black/white combo looks fantastic :)

Lastly, welcome to the forum.

Very interesting. I've done 2000 miles in my 100HP so may be able to add something.

I find the driving position very comfortable - longest journey to date is 400 miles in a day. The problem with window switches on the doors is that the driver can't open the passenger window. The positioning of the mirror adjustment switches is very after thoughty - I've also just noticed that the driver's side mirror has stopped tilting, though it still pans, and the nearside one's OK so it must be the mirror or the connection. I've had dozens of Fiats so the 100HP - which feels surprisingly different from the MJ, for example - driving position is an evolution from that rather than a complete change. I also have small feet - size 8 - so the footwell's not an issue. (And rumours about the relationship to the size of other physical attributes is not true. Honestly.)

Our son popped round the other day - we're both six feet tall and he could sit behind me comfortably - but the high stature of the car meant he felt thrown round in the back going round bends and roundabouts.

The doors are a great disappointment for a small Fiat, the doors of which should shut with a resounding clang that goes on for several seconds, not a solid thump like the Panda's.

Driving with Sport not selected really gives no idea of the nippiness of the car - I have Sport on except when parking or shuffling in traffic. I've been round familiar roundabouts in the 100HP at speeds that I've not approached before. After 2000 miles the engine is still loosening up noticeably - not just further up the rev range but it's noticeably more flexible, presumably because the freeing-up effect is actually more significant at lower speed/power levels. My gearbox is still slightly obstructive going from second to third - I'll give it another 1000 miles and note it as a fault if it hasn't improved. Brakes are brilliant.

The climate control is really useful - my wife's MultiJet has air con and the full cc is much preferable. The Panda seems to be susceptible to screen fogging but cc - and air con - look after it very effectively.

I get 35-36 to the gallon.

The boot's a very sensible shape - as I've noted elsewhere the sliding rear seat option is useful, but the 100HP is adequate. My measuring object is not my wife's suitcase - heaven forfend - it's the 30-litre containers we use to bring wine back from Italy, and these sit running to and fro very satisfactorily - tried them in the 100HP demo car before I even drove it.

See another thread for Fiat's iPod connector that plugs into the cd changer socket on the back of the head unit and gives you proper - ie not just audio - connection to an iPod.

To sum up, for the money, especially when discounted, I think the 100HP is an impressively capable little car - honest, straightforward, practical and - most of all - great fun - just what a small Fiat should be - despite those doors.

Have fun.

Great review. I came from a Mondeo and had reservations about the van-like driving position, but I'll be crossing 20k miles in mine this weekend (bought in April 2008 :eek: )and the only annoyance I have is that I sometimes have to duck around the rear-view mirror to see past it at some junctions. It would be nice if it was a proper sporty position, but everything is a compromise :D

I agree with you about the window and mirror switches too. There's something not quite right about trying to adjust the mirrors when you're not sitting in a driving position! ::ROFLMAO::

Your comments about the Sport button are also interesting. Not sure if you know, but there's a 5 second delay after the button is pressed before the mode changes, but I think the difference is very big. The throttle suddenly feels dead and the steering waaaaaay too light. I'd be quite happy if sport mode was the factory default and the Sport button made the steering even weightier, but I am a bit weird.

Reliability wise, the only issue I've had is the boot release playing up a couple of times, but that seems to have sorted itself out. Everything else seems pretty well screwed together and I'm currently averaging 37-38mpg for the majority of briskly driven journeys.

Chris

The weird thing is, I drive around with SPORTS mode OFF most of the time - but this seems to be the case after I put the induction kit on.

I would really need to go back to a bog-standard 100HP to feel the difference I reckon :chin:

Cracking review though - and yes, that engine really does loosen up; coming up for 20k miles soon myself. Hopefully by next week it will have the Gazella Racing exhaust and centre pipe on :D

Great post, and welcome!

The steering weight is way too light on the 100hp without the Sport button selected, imo. Really vague, especially around town. It's perfectly weighted with Sport engaged though.

It's amazing how quickly you get used to the driving height and position of the gear stick. 'Normal' cars feel odd to me now.

Like you, one of the big things I was worried about was the ride - especially on rubbish Irish roads. 4 months in, and I honestly don't find it a problem. You do have to slow quite a bit for large speed bumps, but that's as much to do with the short wheelbase as anything else. It doesn't love potholes, but then it's nowhere near as bad as some reviewers have suggested.

It's an extraordinary car for the money.

Good review, pity you didn't get a longer test drive.

I've had mine since September 08, i've covered nigh on 6K miles now. It is a good fun car really. It is also very safe handling which is good and bad in some respects. Lift-off oversteer is quite hard to achieve unless you are going at daft speeds in the dry. In the wet it is a bit easier, but does take a bit of doing. The car does have a propensity to lift an inside front wheel when cornering which combined with an open diff can be a bit frustrating at times as you tend to get a fair bit of wheelspin. So the chassis is a bit crude in some respects but does a reasonable job.

But otherwise it's not bad at all. I did have my induction pipe fall off and go AWOL, though it was an easy fix by the dealer, so not a massive problem. Everything else seems to work okay. I went for the stereo upgrade and I was glad I did as it does make a big difference. I had an MJ before that which I just couldn't get on with and the 100hp is much better IMO.

Climate control and bluetooth work brilliantly and i'd honestly never want to buy a car without it. My MJ had manual aircon but that just doesn't compare to the climate which is great because it does everything automatically.

I agree with you on the driving position. I have got used to it, but I really do hate sitting high up in cars. With the seat at it's lowest position it is somethign of an improvement. It is comfortable too, but i'd have liked a lower driving position if i'm honest.

I always drive in Sport mode, I can't see any point in using the other mode which makes the throttle seem disconnected from the engine.

The ride is a bit harsh, the rear is basically too stiff I think. I guess this is someway to get round the lack of a rear ARB. I drive round the local council estate in it all day (for work) and i am plagued by speedhumps, which you really do have to go over slowly in the 100hp. It is an annoyance, but I can put up with that. Body roll is fairly well controlled so that isn't an issue. For a comparison try a non-100hp and see how much it wallows at the merest steering input.

Last edited:
:D 12500 miles in mine. ride is still horrible, but you get used to it. my grand daughter when sitting in the back enjoys hitting her head on t roof.:)
fuel consumption around town low 30,s, and it has not improved with mileage. on a run mixed motorway and A roads 44/45 mpg.
no warranty issues at all, starts first time, nothing has broken, fallen off.
engine is sweet as a nut and pulls like the proverbial train up to 6000 rpm.
the only thing i would say is, if your in town and suffer from speed bumps and raised ramps, walk away. it does not like them at all and for me at least it would be outed if i still lived in London.
1.5 years down the line and still fun to drive.... (y)

Last edited:
My reference to 7000 rpm was slightly light-hearted but I would also have made the point that revving beyond the 6000 mark places the engine at the right part of the power curve when you change up a gear. Unless you're pulling 6000 rpm in sixth, of course - in which case, tell us the secret.

Firstly, great test drive review!

Secondly, most of the things that I was going to comment on have already been answered by other people (ipod connection etc)

Thirdly for what it's worth, I have never had an issue with seat height, window switches (my Punto had manual so i'm just happy to have electric tbh!), mirror switches (only ever used them once to set them up) or cramped cabin (and I am 6', size 11 shoes, and not exactly a skinny boy!)

Finally you may be interested to know that I too have SPORT turned off for about 75% of the time....It makes quite a difference to the consumption and on the Motorway it's pretty pointless....

Enjoy the car when you get it! (y)

My reference to 7000 rpm was slightly light-hearted but I would also have made the point that revving beyond the 6000 mark places the engine at the right part of the power curve when you change up a gear. Unless you're pulling 6000 rpm in sixth, of course - in which case, tell us the secret.

You can hit 6,000 in 6th, you just need a lack of speed limit, the aid of a favourable wind and a bit of a hill :D

:eek: how did you know!

Your right about one thing (in your first paragraph...the bit I read) the Ford will be bringing you some huge repair bills soon thats for sure!

You missed all that libellous stuff about forum moderators half way down then? ;)

Some fantastic replies there, thank you to all, I'll reply in full (be afraid, be very afraid) soon.

Really good review of the two!!

I'm going through the same choice ahving owned basic versions of the KA and Panda - however house is first on the list so it'll have to wait!! Be interested to see how you get on with the 100HP.

To me the KA is better looking, with a better position and much nicer interior. BUT the 100HP is better equiped and cheaper to run. You pays your money....

Make sure you post plenty of pics and enjoy!!

Sam

Now, forgive me if I've missed this (there's a lot to read in some of these posts!), but I presume the comparison here is with the 'old' Ford Ka (that's been around for donkey's years) and the current Panda 100HP?

What about the new Ford Ka that's just come out? This is to all intents and purposes, a Fiat Panda (or 500 if you prefer) in disguise. Its built in the same factory in Poland, and (intitially at least) uses the same 1.2 petrol and 1.3 diesel engines as the Fiats (although Ford give them fancy new names of Duratec and Duratorq respectively). I'd guess Ford will also bring out a sporty version, and more tha likely, using the Fiat 1.4 engine... So, is there much difference? Ford have tweaked the harsh Panda suspension (TDQ will be happy that the rear springs are softer but the roll stiffness is greater). And they've made the dash look more 'Ford' like -- although if you look closely, everything's in the same place still. But apart from detail bits here and there, the Panda, 500 and KA are now all fundamentally the same cars underneath.

See a review (one of many of course) here:
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=10584984

How does this affect the decision I wonder...

Not at all, Herts:)

The new Ka is uglier than a bag of frogs, I really need/want five doors, The new Ka lost a fight with the ugly stick, Ford have said there won't be a Sport version (though there will be an Arbarth 500-too pricey for me) and finally the new Ka fell out the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down.

Before climbing up for another go. Not that I'm shallow or anything...

Back