Technical Speedo needle stopped moving temporarily

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo needle stopped moving temporarily

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
I went out for a short drive yesterday to do some errands and noticed that the speedo needle did not move off zero. However, the odometer was increasing so presumably the cable is OK. On my way back, I noticed that the speedo started working again!

Any ideas of cause or how to prevent it happening again? Or just keep an eye on it and do nothing unless it becomes 'permanent'?

Oh, it's a 500L with the square speedo, if that makes any difference.

Simon

When my speedo cable started to come loose from the transmission it's function became erratic. It would occasionally stop working, jump around, etc...

I unscrewed it from the back of the cluster and from the transmission, sprayed brake cleaner down the tube until it ran fairly clean, blew air down it to dry it out, let it sit a bit, then sprayed white lithium grease down the tube till it ran out the other end. After all that, screwed it in snugly on both ends and it's been working perfectly since.

Recommend checking the snugness on both ends first.

When my speedo cable started to come loose from the transmission it's function became erratic. It would occasionally stop working, jump around, etc...

I unscrewed it from the back of the cluster and from the transmission, sprayed brake cleaner down the tube until it ran fairly clean, blew air down it to dry it out, let it sit a bit, then sprayed white lithium grease down the tube till it ran out the other end. After all that, screwed it in snugly on both ends and it's been working perfectly since.

Recommend checking the snugness on both ends first.

OK, thanks for the suggestion!

Problem fixed (hopefully) :)

I previously added an acetate sheet with MPH numbers/markings to my km/h speedo. It's on the inside of the glass and the edges are stuck on with double-sided tape. I dismantled it today and found that on the left hand side the acetate was slightly raised so I think it must have been just enough to prevent the needle going up until after about 25-30 mph, when it would suddenly jump up and work. I unstuck the left hand third and refixed it, the skimmed the slight overhanging edge with a Stanley knife blade. After reassembling it I went for a short drive and now the needle starts moving as soon as the car does

Attachments

• 20211121_134749.jpg
    20211121_134749.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 21
Back