General Speedo LCD knacked the wipers

Currently reading:
General Speedo LCD knacked the wipers

Rasputin (a 2013 1.2 SS) has just undergone surgery to remove a faulty Speedo LCD. The patient is in a comfortable condition.

After I'd taken the LCD out, to get the part number on the back, I refitted the speedo loosely, since the new LCD will arrive in a few days, and I don't want to dismantle everything again and risk cracking/breaking a tab or dropping it etc. since it is a gingery job..

The LCD is in place and plugged in. I left the chrome bezel off and I only screwed the speedo into place with one screw to hold it reasonably in place. It works fine (apart from the LCD, obv.).

However, this morning I discovered that the wiper stalk doesn't work. The squirty, the wipers and the rear window wiper don't work. The indicators, lights etc. on the other stalk are fine.

I can't imagine the why the wipers wouldn't work if the speedo was not connected (but it is) or properly screwed in place... but there is an uncanny coincidence that it's knacked this morning, after I was fiddling yesterday (I didn't try the wipers once I'd finished).

What have I disturbed/blown/broken?

Ralf S.

Last edited:
As an update, I've found the fusebox behind the glove box/tray..

Fuse F43 (15A) which AFAIK is the wipers' fuse, looks okay. Swapping it for another 15A fuse made no difference.. so the "trouble" is not a blown fuse.

Everything not controlled by that right hand stalk works okay.. so it's something very specific.

Apart from the speedo casing is refitted "loose", I can't work out what might be upsetting the wiper stalk. The trip reset button is on the end of the wiper stalk.. and that must somehow talk to the LCD.. but the LCD is connected, even though it's broken.. so I'm not sure how there's a link between the two issues.

Ralf S.

I'm going to re-tweak everything.. but the connector to the speedo is a block connector with a locating tab, so it's fairly foolproof.

The ribbon from the LCD to the speedo just pushes into a slot and is then locked in place with a collar, so it's similarly diffcult to cock it up.

There are no other wires or blocks involved. The wipers worked during the fiddling aboot, since when I turned the ignition on to see whether the speedo was connected up okay... I'd nudged the wiper stalk "on", so the wipers started going.

This morning though.. nothing.

I dunno if the wiper/stalk squib has packed up.. although that would be a monumental coincidence. A friend of mine nearly set fire to his Renort when his packed up the other week, so it's obviously a part that can go wrong.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
I solved the problem.. :D

There are a couple of connectors on the back of the indicator/wiper squib.. one for each stalk. I noticed that when you remove the speedo shroud, unless you have the steering wheel locked right "down" then there's not much space to pull the shroud forward and off.. you end up resting/pressing it on these connectors.

The wipers-side connector had been nudged slightly loose. I pressed it back in and it's all mostly happy now .. the wipers work at least. :D

However, now there's a new warning light that has appeared which I've never seen before. It looks "airbag"-ish. Maybe something to do with the same connectors?

I've attached an image (not my car.. but I'm having trouble downloading the photo). It's the orange one with "2" under it. What is it/how can it be gone?

Ralf S.

Attachments

• airbag.jpg
    airbag.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 32
Passenger airbag is off.

The wonders of the internet.. :D

https://youtu.be/iPMdUFS_0mk

Ralf S.

You beat me to it. So many people think an airbag is faulty. This can actually be a fault in the speedo as sometimes you cannot turn it on or off. When you confirm it,it doesn’t do anything. I’ve had this a few times which strangely enough can also be down to the clock spring.

Back