speeding at 101

Currently reading:
speeding at 101

i had a lovely holiday in the west of scotland last week, what isn't so lovely is the letter i got for speeding this morning. i was clocked at 101mph.

so basically, im asking, what can i do? its there anything to make the punishment lighter?

anyhelp would be much appreciated.
p.s, please can i not have any of the usual, your an idiot, why were you going that fast. because i know it was stupid.

a fine and points would be looking pretty good right now. But all i'm worried about now is the ban. The letter says its contrary to section 89 of road traffic act.

i looked that up, its all about test of competence to drive.

gutted mate :( do you know if you being offered the 3 ppoints and £60 fine ? or is it worse cause its over 100 i know sometimes it can be :( hope works out ok for you :( . im currentyly sweating over the next week waiting to see if i get any ting inthe door came over brow of hill yesterday and was camera there was 30 zone think i was doing about 33 but im not sure i was doing 40 before hill but was slowing down. and thre was an avergae speed camera thing i went throiugh other day i was going 60 to start with before i realsied i was in the 50 avarage zone i slowed down but now sweating over a potential 6 points from that and the hill thing :( and i all ready got 6 arggggg

I think 100+ means court ... good luck

12 points totted up in 3 years means 6 month ban minimum, straight off (and very high insurance premiums for 5 years!)

"Totting up Under the totting up provisions a driver can be disqualified where he/she accumulates a certain number of penalty points within a three year period. The "magic" number is 12.
If you reach 12 penalty points within the 3 year period (and it is the date of the offences and NOT the date of the hearings which is relevant), then you will be disqualified for a minimum period of 6 months.
If you are then disqualified the slate is wiped clean of points at the date you get your licence back.
To avoid being banned for totting up you will need to be able to convince the court that there are "mitigating circumstances". This means that you will have to show that a disqualification would cause exceptional hardship. The loss of your job could be considered to be exceptional hardship. As could the loss of employment for others dependant on you, or hardship to members of his family."

TBH I have no sympathy for you, I'm going to say it anyway, 101 on a public road is irresponsible and very dangerous not just for you but everyone around you:mad: .
Being clocked at 100+ normally means a ban, if not it'll be 6 points and £120 fine if you're lucky. Stop worrying about what might happen and take your punishment, as the old saying goes 'don't do the crime if you can't do the time'.

prepare to be banned.

if it was on a motorway and you get an SP50 then you may get off with 3-6 points and a level 4 fine (£2500 or less).

alternatively they could give you an SP30 and then you can get 3-6 points and a level 3 fine (£1000 or less). thats usually only for non-motorway cases. however if you were more than 30mph over the limit on an SP30 it is a ban (which is your case)

only way i see you getting away without a ban is if it was on a motorway and you appear at court to justify why you need your license (such as you will lose your job and home without a license).

i got a 28day ban because i could justify why i needed my license. a shorter ban (or no ban) usually comes with a much bigger fine, but thats better than losing your job & house.

Last edited:
Its worth getting a solicitor, a local one to the Court. You are risking a ban which will have an effect on insurance and a whole lot more. Turn up at Court and look smart, be apologetic. Think of an excuse that may just reduce the crime.

I had 9 points and was caught doing 61 on a deserted country road with a 50 limit and I was facing a ban. A solictor got me off with a fine and 3 more points but no ban, his fee was £150

could you ask to see the evidence first? im sure if you sign and send the form off you are saying 'yes it was me' without knowing if they got it wrong.

if it was you doing 101 and you got caught doing it then unlucky, you will most likely be banned.

Its worth getting a solicitor, a local one to the Court. You are risking a ban which will have an effect on insurance and a whole lot more. Turn up at Court and look smart, be apologetic. Think of an excuse that may just reduce the crime.

I had 9 points and was caught doing 61 on a deserted country road with a 50 limit and I was facing a ban. A solictor got me off with a fine and 3 more points but no ban, his fee was £150

of course you would have to ask why you would risk speeding at all on 9 points?

ask for the photo evidence and the test certificate for the equipment used, you may have to pay for this but they have to allow you to have it.

have heard of people ignoring the first letter because by the time the second arrives its beyond the allowed time for prosecution, although this didn't work for me though, i got 3 point and £60 fine for doing 89.3mph in a 50mph zone nearly 40mph over the limit

Back