Speaker woes

Currently reading:
Speaker woes

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what causes speakers to go what one can only describe as a "farty" sound? The speakers are FLI 220w, theyre a direct fit into my old rears in my Bravo, the screws are tight and theres no breaks in the rubber or surface, no dirt etc but it still farts like mad (have a good laugh if you want (y)) Ive noticed its only at certain frequencies, a loud and bassy track may not bother it, but lower the volume when its over and voices and ads drive it mad! And its driving me mad!!! :bang:

I would be tempted to blame the speakers. If you can download some sine waves and let us know what frequencies this happens it would make life easier for us.

Try pushing the cone in and if it grinds then the speaker is blown.

This will happen by turning up the HU too far, puting the bass up on the EQ and anything else that will lessen the quality of the signal sent. A head unit will start to clip at just under 3/4 volume with a flat eq.

I would be tempted to blame the speakers. If you can download some sine waves and let us know what frequencies this happens it would make life easier for us.

Try pushing the cone in and if it grinds then the speaker is blown.

This will happen by turning up the HU too far, puting the bass up on the EQ and anything else that will lessen the quality of the signal sent. A head unit will start to clip at just under 3/4 volume with a flat eq.

Cheers, I only got round to looking at it properly today!! :D I tested it for grinding but it seemed to work well enough so I took it out and found the ring around the top of the speaker (I'm assuming it holds the rubber ring in place) is coming apart on one half and resonates only at certain frequencies due to the way its coming apart (normal speech drives it mad so I'm guessing around maybe a 500mhz frequency??) Its a FLI 225w peak 75w rms speaker, wasnt expensive so I hope super epoxy will cure it. Thanks again :)

Back