Technical spark plugs

Currently reading:
Technical spark plugs

chucky101

this is really embarrassing but i have no choice. yesterday afternoon i got some bosch spark plugs, fitted them properly, started the car, got like half a mile down the road and i felt it loose power. took it back home and took one off the plugs out and noticed that the plugs where FR91X and not the right ones. in all of this confusion my dad and i pulled another one out without thinking about the order. i panicked and came on here to see what i had to do. i then went back to find that my dad had pulled out the rest.... now the car start and just stalls after like 6secs. what do i have to do to correct this? :bang:

thanks

Fit the blooming proper plugs..;)

Then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU for a few hours..give that one a try..(y)

Fit the blooming proper plugs..;)

Then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU for a few hours..give that one a try..(y)

will this really work? or is it a guestimation? lol

As he says, get ahold of the correct spark plugs for your car and reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for at least an hour. This'll force the car to relearn parameters and you should be a happy chappy (y)

As he says, get ahold of the correct spark plugs for your car and reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for at least an hour. This'll force the car to relearn parameters and you should be a happy chappy (y)

didnt work:cry:

time for the AA....... great. :(

wrong gap (bigger) will cause coils to develop higher charge to bridge the gap - if you were majorly out you may need new coils (also if you were unlucky and a spark from a broken coil grounded on the engine - you will need a new ecu.. however, cars try to disable the faulty coil to protect your engine ecu.. this will not be cleared without an examiner s'far as i know.. fingers crossed and all.. i'll guestimate you will be charged about £60 for reset and £60 per coil..)

Ps: think smaller gap may also be handled in a similar manner (due to firing early instead of late)

wrong gap (bigger) will cause coils to develop higher charge to bridge the gap - if you were majorly out you may need new coils (also if you were unlucky and a spark from a broken coil grounded on the engine - you will need a new ecu.. however, cars try to disable the faulty coil to protect your engine ecu.. this will not be cleared without an examiner s'far as i know.. fingers crossed and all.. i'll guestimate you will be charged about £60 for reset and £60 per coil..)

Ps: think smaller gap may also be handled in a similar manner (due to firing early instead of late)

top marks mate! thats exactly what the AA said. :D
ive replaced all 4 sparks (new) and one coil, the faulty one but still nothing, if the coils in the stilo work in pairs then i might have to go get another one or just replace all of them to be on the safe side :(

so what would be the obvious things to look out for if one or more coils are damaged?

affected cylinders will not fire.. it is normal to change a paired pack (supposedly to stop second coil, which might be damaged, from affecting the new one.. through over/under voltage? As pairs are fired together..) coils seem to last about the same amount of time (since use is uniform) when 1 goes the other follows shortly. A less severe failure can cause rough idle (but opinions vary.. most people will say a coil either works or it doesn't (you can check resistance on them.. but it has to be done both cold and hot..). Now then.. if your coils are 5yrs of age.. and you've some money.. and you're keeping the car.. swap em all - they will fail soon anyway..

Back