Technical Spark plugs.

Currently reading:
Technical Spark plugs.

There must be a thread on this subject already., but i couldnt find it. so here goes.

What is the best spark plugs for the B, and do they make any difference to performance.

I have NGK's in mine now. multi electrode,

Would like to know, if iridium plugs are better or if anyone has experience of good or bad plugs.

It was Goldywaggon who mentioned it in the "Barchetta as a beast" thread. I asked him to comment on the irdium plugs, but I think he missed the question because I put it in a PS!

I just been on Ngk's web site and had a read on there different plugs.

It seems the irridium plugs are the best they do, and offer increased performance and more horse power, longer lasting too.

They are on sale on ebay, and i have just purchased a set.

Should be with me early next week.

As soon as i have tested them, i,ll let you know. (y)

I have NGK Iridiums.

In a drawer in my house.... Bought of ebay last week. Not got round to fitting them yet. In fact I don't even know if I can. Is it easy? What tools do I need.

I have NGK Iridiums.

In a drawer in my house.... Bought of ebay last week. Not got round to fitting them yet. In fact I don't even know if I can. Is it easy? What tools do I need.

Yup, you need to remove the rocker cover, remove the coils over the plug's and use a deep plug socket to take the plugs out. It's a 20 min job, remember when you replace the plug's it an alloy head so 'tweak' the plugs, don't over tighten them as if you strip the thread in the head your stuffed!

If you get stuck give me a shout (y)

You'll need two different sized Alan keys, for the cover (there are two very small screws next to the oil filler cap).

You'll need to undo the screws, remove the filler cap (I always replace it after I've got the cover off just in case something drops in). Then each plug has got a cap which is held in place by two smallish (8 or 10mm can't remember) bolts. Once they're out you just pull the caps which pop off. Then it's time for the plugs to come out as described by LRB.

It's pretty simple and quick, just make sure you're parked somewhere where a dropped screw isn't going to roll away or fall down a drain!

In this case the bolts don't need to be particularly tight and after four years I haven't noticed any problems, but yes using the right tools can help :)

Lol I only say this because after owning Alfa's and Fiat's old and new I take pity on the next owner and try not to make their job any harder buring screw/bolts etc. The countless times I have spent hours instead of minutes doing the most simple of tasks just because someone bodged the last job with some crazy improvisation...

Sorry about the rant...but yeah I guess they should never be tightened too much, so you can get away with it. :D

Thanks guys, as I may of said in the other post 'Oh Dear' my fifteen hundred quid Barchetta has been a bit sick since we pulled it out of the garage after it's winter lay up. Did some a couple of oil changes / flushes yesterday and that seemed to help a bit but I took one look at the cam cover and went 'WTF? How are you supposed to do this', when it came to sticking in plugs. Suppose that's the bad thing about only owning very old (1980's) and very new (2008) fiats. The old un's you can fix on the side of the road with a spanner and the new ones you leave to the dealers so I sort of missed out on things like cam covers, star bolts and coil packs!

Anyway, got it all apart no probs and then found when taking plug No 3 out that it was already really loose! Hence the noise (which I thought was the exhaust about to go) and the awful running! (which I thought was everything about to go!) New plugs in and the cars a dream to drive!

Again, thanks to everyone who helped on this thread!

Jim

Last edited:
e505jpy: Glad it's all working again :) (y)

Afroking: Fair point, I too have suffered with rounded bolts from previous owners

Back