Technical Spark Plug Stuck In Block!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Spark Plug Stuck In Block!!!

thekidneykid

Has anyone had problems with spark plugs stuck in the block? My MK2 Punto was recently serviced and was told that they could not get one out and are now talking about having to bore the block and put an insert in. Im not chuffed to say the least and it sounds expensive!!

:bang:

I assume that it's a 16v engine if it's a mk2? If so, then it'll be tricky because the plugs will be quite far down between the cams. I've seen it happen on an 8v Ka before.

The plugs had snapped in half. We had to pour boiling water over the plugs and then cold water to try and contract them a bit. Then we hammered a screwdriver into what was left of the plug and were able to get them out - only just though.

I assume that they're planning on removing the head before they start drilling the stuck plug out? If not, they might get a lot of swarf into the engine.

Installing them with a bit of copper grease can help things when it comes to removal time.

Hi

My punto is the basic 8V MIA model if that makes any difference? The garage said they would have to take out the block and send it away. Thing is though they did change one spark plug a couple of services ago but i have no idea and therefore probably can't prove that thats the spark plug that is now stuck!

I like the Punto but its just one problem after another with the bloody thing!!! Guess a lot of others are in the same boat!! (n)

:confused: Seems unlikely to me that it won't come out with the correct tool.
They need to make space by removing some hoses and wires and use a rigid tool that can be extended with an iron bar. I would go to a different garage and explain what the problem is. They might have a way to get the sparkplug out. Sometimes it goes easier when the engine is hot, but be carefull that you don't burn yourself.

rpaterson said:
I assume that it's a 16v engine if it's a mk2? If so, then it'll be tricky because the plugs will be quite far down between the cams. I've seen it happen on an 8v Ka before.

The plugs had snapped in half. We had to pour boiling water over the plugs and then cold water to try and contract them a bit. Then we hammered a screwdriver into what was left of the plug and were able to get them out - only just though.

I assume that they're planning on removing the head before they start drilling the stuck plug out? If not, they might get a lot of swarf into the engine.

Installing them with a bit of copper grease can help things when it comes to removal time.

Ford Ka's are notorious for this problem.

If they are gonna charge you a forune for this service, then it may be worth trying a local engineering firm.
Ask them for a quote for drilling the thing out from the inside. Shouldn't be more than £50 I would reckon, hell if they charge more I'll do it for ya for £50.

I have only ever heard of one other prob (wasn't a punto, it was a Sierra Sapphire) and they got it out by drilling it out from the inside.

Ask at your local Ford garage.They have a special tool for removing the Fiesta/Ka plugs when they snap (5 years of never breaking a fiesta/ka plug then I bloody break 3 in one day with customer waiting :bang: ) basically the porcelin is removed then remains of plug drilled slightly to accomadate the tool which is hammereed in & extracted with the plug.Its a 10 minute job however in hindsight they will probably pass you on to a fiat dealer as they wouldnt want the hassle! Dont know if Fiat dealers have such a tool,anyone?

This is common on fiestas, but not on fiats. a Good tip is to get engine hot, snap the cermaic of the spark plug, put on your spark plug socket and hit hard with a hammer. Do this a number of times. If frees of the plug and out it comes. :)

Back