General Spare Wheel Tethering

Currently reading:
General Spare Wheel Tethering

Skyler

Hi from Australia.

Some of our paved highways in Australia are rougher than unpaved roads or your cobbled streets in the U.K. and Europe. Not trusting the spare wheel holder and mechanism I tether it with a tie-down strap, much to the amusement of my service department.

Just wondering, has anyone actually had a spare wheel come adrift while in motion?

It has happened a few times and the carrier has been modified because it would seize and the new carries do not leave the wheel hanging on just the wire strap like the old one, Their was a recall for it I believe. I have heard a few reports of people going to get the spare and it being missing with the wire strap it was hanging on snapped.

Mike

I've heard of a couple of people who have lost spare wheels from X2/50 carriers.
But it was never established whether the wheel fell off or was stolen.
I put a long wire fencing type bolt through mine and the van floor as a precaution against both.
Anyway, a lot of people complained, so Fiat/PSA had to do something, they recalled all the vans to fit a different wheel carrier.
I got a recall letter from Citroen that reminded me of 'Sir Humphrey Appleby' on 'Yes Minister' TV Series.
It says 'This measure will prevent any potentially incorrect securing of the spare wheel' :)
Doesn't that sound better than saying your spare wheel might fall off :eek:

In the meantime they stopped including spare wheels, but have apparently started again.

Thank you for the responses. I will continue to tether mine just in case!

Back