Spare wheel - Lack of!

Currently reading:
Spare wheel - Lack of!

No matter how often you check tyres for nails, etc., you won't spot them if the car is sitting on it. Jacking it up to turn the wheels is not going to happen weekly is it. I'd rather see the soft tyre than have some goo mask it from me. But that's just my choice.

I have no problem with the goo masking a nail in the tyre. Sooner or later I'll see it and pull it out. The goo seals the hole and its all good. As said, I had an M6 bolt through a tyre. The goo sealed it fine but I took it for repair. The tyre tech said it would have been fine without a professional repair.

But had that bolt been in a non treated tyre, what happens when it gets dangerously under inflated at speed? Tyres can go for a long way at speed before the driver realises there's a problem. By then they are in real trouble.

Last edited:
All I can add is that I've recently purchased an Abarth 500c,and a normal 500 spacesaver spare and jack kit fits perfectly in the boot. As it is an esseesse the spare only fits on the back,but all that will need is a bit of wheel swapping by the AA when needed.

I have gotten along without a spare since 1999....... I always carry a tire plug kit and small compressor with me. Have plugged many flats, never use "gunk", never had a problem.

Of course, if you have a blowout, all bets are off...... But think about it...... What is your past historical ratio of flats / blowouts?

As you ask.. damned near 50 50. Front blow out on the Bravo a year or two back at 100mph, an the only reason I knew is the funny noise it was making. Not much tyre left by the time I had slowed and stopped though. Thankfully I have a full sized spare matching Alloy so was able to continue. That tyre was only 10 days old too. The Bravo went up many steps in my estimation as a result of its exemplary behaviour. Of the last 4 punctures all have required a spare wheel immediately. All down to luck I suppose.

As you ask.. damned near 50 50. Front blow out on the Bravo a year or two back at 100mph, an the only reason I knew is the funny noise it was making. Not much tyre left by the time I had slowed and stopped though. Thankfully I have a full sized spare matching Alloy so was able to continue. That tyre was only 10 days old too. The Bravo went up many steps in my estimation as a result of its exemplary behaviour. Of the last 4 punctures all have required a spare wheel immediately. All down to luck I suppose.

The "blow out" I suffered was caused by air loss and driving on a basically flat tyre. It was not a new tyre so a puncture of some sort was the most likely culprit. In-tyre sealant would have saved me the cost of a new tyre and wheel. I make the distinction between stuff that last the life of the tyre and stuff that's blown in via an aerosol. The latter is horrible stuff - it messes up the tyre and often doesn't do the job.

Permanent sealants are not a panacea for all ills of course. A leak at the valve or rim bead would leak like any other tyre. But I'm a fan because motorbikes (on which I've done many miles) have a habit of throwing up nails/screws/bolts etc from the front wheel. The back then has a fair chance of taking the pointy end. If you are on a motorway the first symptom of no air in the back will be a tank slapping weave.

Back