Technical Spare wheel carrier

Currently reading:
Technical Spare wheel carrier

Roys1950

Hi Guys, having problems with the wind down spare wheel carrier on my 2016 Ducato. The wind down mechanism just clicks with no movement of the spare wheel. Is it possible to get into and repare?

The problems you are having is why most people ditch the carrier at the first opportunity [ unless you wind down and lubricate every month ],it is also the reason you see a lot of nearly new carriers up for sale on ebay as they fail and corrode [ also been known to fail and drop on the highway ] people who have had Seval vans get wise ...!!!!!! .

With yours you now can see the problem with them, luckily you are at home , think of the problems out on the road [ usually persisting down with rain , snow and fog ...!!!] if you needed to change a flat .

In my van i bought a wheel cover [ no more getting covered in crap ] and mounted it over the wheel arch , now accessible , clean [ keep a pair of overalls tucked inside the cover and a mat ] and ready to use , and makes a horrible job easier , whilst you are at it , grease the threads on the jack as well , buy a sealey 1/2 in breaker bar and a socket and using 2 /2 in pipe clips screw it up in the corner behind the rear light access cover
, saves using the rubbish small wheel brace .

You will thank me for it ....!!!!!!!!

I got mine with broken wheel brace and without the spare wheel carrier underneath (actually, without a spare wheel as well). I can second the breaker bar and a good socket! Greasing the threads on the jack makes it a whole lot easier as well! Good advise! I keep the spare wheel I got from the junkyard on the wheel arch as well.

The problems you are having is why most people ditch the carrier at the first opportunity [ unless you wind down and lubricate every month ],it is also the reason you see a lot of nearly new carriers up for sale on ebay as they fail and corrode [ also been known to fail and drop on the highway ] people who have had Seval vans get wise ...!!!!!! .

With yours you now can see the problem with them, luckily you are at home , think of the problems out on the road [ usually persisting down with rain , snow and fog ...!!!] if you needed to change a flat .

In my van i bought a wheel cover [ no more getting covered in crap ] and mounted it over the wheel arch , now accessible , clean [ keep a pair of overalls tucked inside the cover and a mat ] and ready to use , and makes a horrible job easier , whilst you are at it , grease the threads on the jack as well , buy a sealey 1/2 in breaker bar and a socket and using 2 /2 in pipe clips screw it up in the corner behind the rear light access cover
, saves using the rubbish small wheel brace .

You will thank me for it ....!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the prompt response. I’ve been under the van and the reason it didn’t wind down, it had cable ties around it. Also the cable was wound around the support bracket😡

Back