Technical Space Saver Spare Wheel

Currently reading:
Technical Space Saver Spare Wheel

I'e just paid £208 for a 24k service (with aircon), and I was told I need a new tyre n/s/r. When I Asked them to put on the spare they said I couldn't use it as is was a space saver. When I looked at both tyres they have the same figures on them, 195 65 15 91h. Am i being conned?
If I have a blowout can I use it? (if not, why is it there?)

Space saver is usually limited to a certain speed (I think about 50 mph?) Also is only a temporary measure as a means to get home/ get to a tyre place.

Do you have steel wheels or alloys? I f they're steel wheels the car will usually have a full size spare. If you've checked the sizes & they're the same with the same rating then I can't see why you can't use it. :confused: So in that respect yes you're being conned, probably just a ploy to get you to spend more money with them.

Sounds like your being conned! If its a standard steely then definately! However it is illegal to run about with the old wheel in your car with a bald tyre! It isn't however illegal to run with no spare! But the question is, how do you get the wheel home with an illegal tyre on it?!?! ;)

Not true regarding spare being illegal if bald. Regarding if you are being conned 80% of fiats come with space saver spares so it is probably an innocent mistake made by a receptionist rather than deliberatly con.

If you have a bald tyre on or in your car in the eyes of the law you'll get busted! As for the spare not needing to have any tread! Check the VOSA MOT checks! If you have a spare it is checked, if it is bald your car will fail! If you have no spare tyre then it can't be tested and therefor passes!

Stilo Boy as a VOSA examiner I can assure you that the spare tyre/wheel is NOT an MOT inspected item, therefore it cannot cause your vehicle to fail an MOT test. It is NOT a legal requirement to have a spare tyre neither must that tyre if carried BE legal. The police cannot prosecute you for having a defective spare tyre.

Thanks for all the info guys, have put the spare wheel on. the wheel is a full size spare according to a tyre shop. He said I could use old wheel if I need to because it has 2.8mm on it, and only need 1.6mm to be legal. Will still have it changed after hols anyway, as I do a quite a few long runs.

Back