General Soundproofing a Qubo (and radio aerial possible issue)

Currently reading:
General Soundproofing a Qubo (and radio aerial possible issue)

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🎵

Red Van Man

My Fiorino's a Qubo..
Has any Qubo owner here added some decent soundproofing to their car or Fiorino?

I’ll be driving to S France in the summer and fear tinnitus and deafness will occur trying to up the radio to ear-bleeding levels to drown out the drumming and tyre noise….and I’m going on a music course so to have some hearing function would be preferable! Please post makes and suggestions, how you did it and if it worked…etc. 👍

My 61 plate facelift is a lot quieter than the previous models but having had a lift in a friends Volvo XC90 I had to ask if the engine was running - pretty much the only indication of activity was the tacho showed some movement…😳 Yes there’s probably £50,000 difference in price but wow, why am I running this noisy beast when so much else out there is quieter (every other car?)

The aerial…due to the awful stock Daiichi thing the car came with, I fitted a Pioneer double-DIN HU with DAB and CD. The radio still won’t auto tune when the signal goes off as I drive around and I spent a long time in Nottingham/Newark/Derbyshire (Via Gellia-Matlock-Chatsworth) area last Thursday and I had to keep pressing the station button to force it to search, times without number 😡 DAB doesn’t work at the moment as there’s no specific aerial (despite there being a DAB lead taped to the aerial lead in the dash).
Is the aerial on these cars just crap or have I had two lousy Daiichi units (one on the previous car) and the Pioneer isn’t very good?? I doubt the Pioneer is iffy.
I did spend a long time with a coat-hanger and piece of string trying to thread a pull-through from the dash centre to the LH A-pillar to draw a lead through for a screen mount DAB aerial but no matter how much I tried I couldn’t get the end to the base of the A-pillar. I will need to at some point unless I pay a firm to fit it but alternatively, is there a good roof mount aerial I could fit that will do the dual FM/DAB thing? The stock aerial has to be left as flat as it will go or I’d rip it off backing out of my garage - I wondered about a shark-fin but if that’s a good possibility, which one? Would a powered aerial be any better? (Not a motorised one..)

Any help or suggestions to get better reception gratefully received!

Thanks in advance, a frustrated

R-V-M

I put some of that cheap foil backed 'sound proofing' foam on the underside of my bonnet. It didn't really do anything. Now the stuff I used wasn't the proper butyl sound deadening matts that are better, that butyl stuff would be more effective. For wheel noise, fancy cars have a kind of carpet lined wheel arch liner that absorbs sound, no idea how you would do that. Also keep good high tyre pressure.
I had to take the boot liner carpet mat out of the back of mine after it got dirty, with it removed I have noticed more road noise and I can hear the fuel pump more. Perhaps using the sound deadening matts on the bare metal floor would help.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🎵
Back