Sound System Advice!

Currently reading:
Sound System Advice!

UrbC

I'm getting a MK2 Bravo 1.6, and I basically need some advice on a new sound system.
I got a double sub box(12") from a friend, so I'm looking to get 2 12" subs, and an amp for them. I also wanna upgrade all six speakers to after market ones(but same size as standard), and amp them too.

So I just wanna know what would be the best way to go about doing this, and what sizes are the speakers that are in them as standard.

I have about £500 to spend.

Thank You

front door speakers are a strange 6x4 fitment, you wont get speakers that fit the holes, so you'll need adapters. most adapters are for 5.25" speakers so i would recommend you get some components up front that use a 5.25" mid. stick the tweeters on the dash where the original ones are. hide the crossovers in the fusebox area. i did this on my bravo and it worked very well.

so u have £500 to spend on 2 12" subs 3 sets of speakers and 2 amps???

Basically yeah, why do you say that, don't you think it'll be enough? How much should I be looking at for it?

front door speakers are a strange 6x4 fitment, you wont get speakers that fit the holes, so you'll need adapters. most adapters are for 5.25" speakers so i would recommend you get some components up front that use a 5.25" mid. stick the tweeters on the dash where the original ones are. hide the crossovers in the fusebox area. i did this on my bravo and it worked very well.

Thanks, and what about the rear pair, what size are they? Also, what chanel amp do I need to amp all 3 pairs of speakers?

Last edited:
what about the rear pair, what size are they? Also, what chanel amp do I need to amp all 3 pairs of speakers?

cant remember what size rears are but i think they were 4".

your "3 pairs of speakers" only require 4 channels because a tweeter and mid will be run by one crossover so overall impedance remains at 4ohms on the channel even thought there are really 2 speakers.

for £500 your asking alot. and it wont be all that good. you have to pay to play. specially when it comes to audio.

Ok, thank you, 500 was just a guide, I dont mind spending a bit more if I have too.

cant remember what size rears are but i think they were 4".

your "3 pairs of speakers" only require 4 channels because a tweeter and mid will be run by one crossover so overall impedance remains at 4ohms on the channel even thought there are really 2 speakers.

Thanks again, i've been looking around a bit, and put together a system, would this work?
Kenwood KAC-PS521 2-channel amplifier, 1000W max power(for the 2 subs)
Kenwood KFC-W3011 1000w peak power Subwoofers
Kenwood KFC-T207 Tweeter 170W peak power
These adaptors for front door speakers
Kenwood KFC-PS1300P 180w peak power Component Speaker(Front Door Speakers)
Kenwood KFC1069S 100W peak power(rear speakers)
Kenwood KAC-PS541 4-channel amplifier, 960W max power(For the speakers)

Now I obviously want the power of the amps to be lower/or the same as the speakers/subs so it doesnt do any damage to them, I think its right for the subwoofers, but that amp for the speakers would that be right?

Sorry bout all the questions, such a noob when it comes to this sorta thing!!

You could do it for £500 if you bought new. Would be difficult, but possible. Willing to go second hand? If it has to be new, it might be easier/cheaper to settle for a single sub and get rid of the double sub box.

You could do it for £500 if you bought new. Would be difficult, but possible. Willing to go second hand? If it has to be new, it might be easier/cheaper to settle for a single sub and get rid of the double sub box.

Nope don't mind getting some second hand bits if I have too.

Now I obviously want the power of the amps to be lower/or the same as the speakers/subs so it doesnt do any damage to them, I think its right for the subwoofers, but that amp for the speakers would that be right?quote]

Unless car amps and speakers are markedly different that high power domestic setups, I think it should be the other way round. With a low power amp driving high power speakers, trying to drive the speakers properly you can end up running the amp too hard. This can cause clipping (output stage overload/distortion ) putting DC onto the speaker lines and frying the voice coils. Better a good second hand high power amp than something nice new and shiny that toasts your speakers.:D

So you saying that set up i posted wouldnt work well?

Back