sorry not enough money raised

Currently reading:
sorry not enough money raised

Why wouldn't he get paid, as part of his role as director of fundraising - I don't see any issue with that :shrug:

All because it is a charity, doesn't mean to say that payroll costs are neglible - they need to be at commercial levels, otherwise they won't attract the right calibre of leadership.

Last edited:
i thought he was a volunteer

i just saw it on the news and all they said was that the costume cost 6k (no idea how it cost that much) and he raised 20k

so apparently he got paid over 14 grand

yeah he was paid fundrasier, but he cost more than he raised that is why he is sacked,
If you read it, it states "The former footballer, who has raised more than £5m for charity over the past 20 years"

Granted, that may not be with the same charity - so what do you think his remuneration has been over the last 20 years, for those charities he has worked for? Greater or less than £5m - you already know the answer apparently...

At least he put his money where his mouth was. Most people just bang a couple of quid (if you're lucky) into a bucket and feel good about it. He actually walked the walk, or crawled the crawl if you like.

Why wouldn't he get paid, as part of his role as director of fundraising - I don't see any issue with that :shrug:

All because it is a charity, doesn't mean to say that payroll costs are neglible - they need to be at commercial levels, otherwise they won't attract the right calibre of leadership.

They reel out that excuse when people carp about our director of Social Services earning £250k. I say 'let them try to find a job in the commercial sector then. Commercial market wouldn't put up with the idiot ideas and wastefullness of these people.'

There are many charities out there with great leadership and all run on a completely voluntary basis - these people do it for the 'feel good' factor & the kudos of raising shedloads of cash for good causes.

There are some high street charities who take the lion's share of your donation and use it to cover admin & staffing, leaving next to nothing for the actual cause.
This guy might have raised £20k for the charity but how much did the charity spend on him in terms of wages, support etc?

This guy might have raised £20k for the charity but how much did the charity spend on him in terms of wages, support etc?
Look at the 2011 accounts once they are published; I have already had a read of their 2010 accounts, have you? :)

One of my largest clients I deal with is a charity - and the payroll has to be high due to the nature of the sector it is in. It would be impossible to run on a completely voluntary basis, so I am afraid there is no one-stop solution if you want quality leaders, with support. Working 60 odd hours a week for free doesn't pay your mortgage...

Also, forget using the Public Sector as an example; we all know that is a waste of money. Charities are run on a totally different playing field, with the Trustees being the custodians of the assets. If they feel they want to pay someone £50k for a full-time job, then good on them :)

I am well aware how Charities are run due to my profession.

Last edited:
Charities are not for profit but they still have running costs. Some take the P with less than 5% going to good causes. Most do a good job. The issue is that it shouldn't be so easy for the dodgy charities to milk the system.

Back