Off Topic Sorn & Tax Info for Panda's

Currently reading:
Off Topic Sorn & Tax Info for Panda's

Palio

Spirito di Panto!
I know a few Panda owners get a bit tangled up in the red tape that is the DVLA, so I hope someone might find this useful.

The system changed at the end of September, and you can no longer sell a car with tax on it. Along with this change, the old Sorn system also changed.

You now go to:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

You need the V5 (unless you have a tax reminder), and just whack in the V5 reference & registration number - hit send and off it goes. You get an immediate email confirmation.

This is so much easier than downloading a form, filling it in, sticking the tax disc on & posting it. That process used to take weeks, but the Sorns I did on 29th October have already been processed - a little shoal of envelopes (7 actually! :eek: ) landed on my doormat today with the cheques in - wow that's more like it!! (y)

I also retaxed Howie the Sisley & had a look at the new options for paying. As before you can pay by debit/credit card (still a charge for credit cards), but there are now direct debit options.

You can pay monthly, etc, (which might help some people budget) at extra cost, but interestingly there was an annual direct debit option. At first I thought what a waste of time (same cost as paying by debit card, so NO additional charge), then I realised it will auto renew every year until you cancel it or Sorn it (the Sorn cancels any direct debit, including the monthly ones). I think this is great for cars you always keep taxed.

I've set it up for Howie so I never need to remember to renew it again, and I'll do the same for any other car I keep taxed all year. The direct debit I set up is taken on 11th November, so 2 weeks after I applied, and you get a warning each year before they take the money. (y)

Just thought it might prove useful to anyone taxing & Sorning Panda's.

I wonder if I can set an automatic renewal for my 500 which I don't pay tax on anyway?

Hmm that's an interesting one - presumably you have to apply every year at the moment, like an historic vehicle? This will be so that they check the mot and insurance is in force (presumably).

They should try to change it to auto renewal if they haven't already - the Sorn is now permanent rather than only lasting 12 months, so they are slowly making progress!! (y)

Of course it would be much easier to simply put the car tax onto fuel, but politically that's unlikely to happen in case all the haulage firms ramraid Westminster...... :rolleyes:

The system changed at the end of September, and you can no longer sell a car with tax on it. Along with this change, the old Sorn system also changed.

Just to clarify, you CAN sell a car with tax on it, but it doesn't transfer to the new owner and get refunded (remaining full months) to the seller. This is done automatically. You do not need to sorn before selling.

Just to clarify, you CAN sell a car with tax on it, but it doesn't transfer to the new owner and get refunded (remaining full months) to the seller. This is done automatically. You do not need to sorn before selling.

Strictly you can't sell a car with tax on as it becomes untaxed the second you sign the V5 to sell it. It's ok I'm being pedantic :p

Yes you're right - you can't sell the tax on a car. (y) The new owner has to tax or Sorn it straight away, and it has to be taxed before they can use it.

You're not being pedantic Gavin, it is the law!

Having a few buys since the change it is the buyers responsibility to tax the vehicle before driving it away after a sale.

The tax is not transferable to the new owner. The vehicle can be sold the tax cannot!

PITA in my opinion, plus the dvla is getting to make two months worth of tax everytime.

Strictly you can't sell a car with tax on as it becomes untaxed the second you sign the V5 to sell it.

Well technically you've sold it normally before you've signed the V5C, as I've said there is nothing stopping you from 'selling the car', it's just that the tax doesn't go with it. You've still 'sold' the car though, just the same way you would have if it were already sorn :nerner:

Well it wouldn't be a nice thing to do to a buyer - letting them think it's taxed.
Surely the MOT and insurance is invalid without tax too?

I'm sure a lot of dishonest people will be pulling the wool over unsuspecting punters eyes on this one!

Well it wouldn't be a nice thing to do to a buyer - letting them think it's taxed.
Surely the MOT and insurance is invalid without tax too?

I'm sure a lot of dishonest people will be pulling the wool over unsuspecting punters eyes on this one!

Why would MOT and insurance become invalid? Don't forget you need these to get tax ;)

ok...
so i want to sell my car
i put it on autotrader
the buyer come to view it, he likes it, we agree a cash price, he pays me, we do
the V5 at the buyer name but he cant drive it away because is not taxed???

i can see lots of problems arising for a quick deal....
i would not personally drive an untaxed car...

Each to their own, it's only a civil offence, I've done it before, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Then again it's only been when it can't be taxed (ie driving to MOT), or when having just bought an untaxed car, and normally taxed the next working day. Never had an issue to date.

And don't forget it'll still show as taxed until the DVLA get confirmation or sale from previous owner, which will normally be at least a day or two after purchase allowing for our postal system.

The Police drive untaxed cars.

No Police car is ever taxed; and neither do they have to have MOT's; (even if they are above three years old (the cars I mean and not the Police).

Neither is any Police car insured. The Police say they will pay out if they are found to be at fault. I think it is worth remembering that line.

Have a think about that if you are stopped. They are "exempt".

If you look in your rear view mirror and think you maybe being followed by an unmarked Police car.....look where the tax disc should be. If there isn't one there it could be that you are being tailed.... ;) . That is how it used to be; in the day of tax discs in the windscreen.

Back